**Update** Adventures of Rocky the Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocky has been with us for just over a month and I think it's safe to say, he's settling in nicely.

I was leaving the house a few days ago and when I went to say "bye" to Rocky, I noticed that his hammock had fallen down. I didn't have time to fix it, so I moved him away from it and left it down; hoping that he wouldn't get back on it. Well...as we all know, our dragons LOVE their hammocks. This is what I found when I returned home, a few hours later:

Rocky, back on his fallen hammock. Using his tail to hold him up.

I decided to remove the hammock altogether for a while. Rocky was having none of that. From that day forward, he has been pooping on his basking spot, right where his hammock had been. And then he lays in it. I think this is an all out "Hammock Protest."

I had to give him a bath to get the poo off his belly and he tried his best to escape.

I want to put paper towels down on his basking spot to make clean up easier, but this guy is terrified of them! He freaks out every time I come near his tank with paper towels in my hand.

I am such a proud beardie mama. I love this guy and can't wait to share more of his adventures.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1c64i6qu said:
A striped skink is a nice neighbor to have!

They've been living in our garden for a couple of years now. Lots of fun watching them run around the deck and explore.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are they tame at all the way the blue tongues are at KingofNobbys house? Or do they keep their distance?

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1khqsot0 said:
Are they tame at all the way the blue tongues are at KingofNobbys house? Or do they keep their distance?

They will let me walk up to them and stand right next to where they are sunning themselves. But they run away every time I try to touch them. I've caught them peeking out over the top of the side of the raised bed, watching my every move. They've even come up to the sliding glass door and looked into the house. On a sunny day, they'll go back and forth across the deck 100 times!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So Rocky gets to graze -- you can't get greens any fresher than that! :D

BTW, speaking of vacuum cleaners, my husband just had to get one of those robots. Our beardie (from the safety of his basking platform in his tank) looks down at it with an expression on his face like, "What the heck is that?" The way it runs around on the floor, I figure he probably thinks it's a giant cockroach. But I don't think he wants to eat it -- he's probably afraid that it's going to eat him. :?

The striped skink is very pretty. What does Rocky think of them?

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":36elm1p3 said:
So Rocky gets to graze -- you can't get greens any fresher than that! :D

BTW, speaking of vacuum cleaners, my husband just had to get one of those robots. Our beardie (from the safety of his basking platform in his tank) looks down at it with an expression on his face like, "What the heck is that?" The way it runs around on the floor, I figure he probably thinks it's a giant cockroach. But I don't think he wants to eat it -- he's probably afraid that it's going to eat him. :?

The striped skink is very pretty. What does Rocky think of them?

I don't think Rocky has seen the Skinks yet. I'm waiting for the day they approach the sliding glass door while Rocky is on the other side. He freaks out when he sees a squirrel, so who knows.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Was catching up on the news this afternoon when I saw this:

Police: Drunken driving suspect had lizard in bra:

TAUNTON, Mass. (AP) — Police in Massachusetts say a bearded dragon lizard was turned over to animal control after a woman suspected of drunken driving revealed she had the animal stuffed in her bra.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I've probably said it before, but he's just too darn cute. :lol: And he does look a little bit like he's pretending to be a frog in that photo.

BTW about your little news story a few days ago -- it's probably a good thing they took that beardie away from that woman, since she was apparently guilty of endangerment and maybe even abuse. :roll: I hope they find him(?) a better "mom".

Meanwhile, we had an interesting one here in Alaska. A man in a rural area lost a 17 foot 100 lb burmese python in a rural neighborhood, but he was a responsible person and reported it to animal control. All his neighbors were told to look out for their pets and small children, and he and others spent two weeks beating the bush looking for the snake, whose name was "Sam". Apparently, Sam had the run of the house and was fed rats and rabbits every two weeks, but was capable of swallowing up to 75 lbs of whatever he could get his coils around at one "sitting". The man had been in and out of the house doing some work around the yard and had apparently left the door open a crack, and Sam took the opportunity to go on a "walkabout" (so to speak). He'b been fed the day before he left, and two weeks later the man went out for a moment and came back in, and there was the snake in his living room, just in time for his next meal. Apparently, that snake's not stupid. :wink:

All's well that ends well, but I was afraid some overzealous politician could use this as an excuse to push for a statewide ban on reptiles. It's currently legal to have non venomous snakes and lizards in Alaska (and I know there are pros and cons to that), but so far and as far as I know, there have been no major outcries about reptiles as a result of this little incident. Things could probably have gone very differently if Sam's "dad" had not been as responsible and cooperative with his neighbors and the authorities as he was.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Rocky's field trip to the garden was interrupted by the neighbor's landscapers. The moment he heard the lawn mowers, he tried to hide under his mustard greens. Poor guy. :(

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":hzlcu6v8 said:
But wow! Those mustard greens are growing fast -- they're big enough for him to hide under now.

Can't believe how well they growing. :blob5: We've had a long string of cool, wet days. I usually don't have much luck growing things from seeds, but this is encouraging!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Beautiful picture -- he looks like our beardie looks right after he finishes a shed and has a new skin, even though he's asleep. :sleepy2: :-D

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh boy... I came home from work last night feeling totally exhausted. All I wanted to do was snuggle with Rocky. When I approached his tank, my jaw dropped. I let out a very confused, "What the hell did you DO?!" :evil: I think Mr. Grumpy Pants has turned into Mr. Guilty Pants. Just look at his face - guilty written all over it. Besides the mess of salad, he also managed to poop on the side of his bed. (Nice urate, though. Right?) So, instead of snuggling, we got a bath and cleaned up his tank. :angry5: I'm not sure what's going on with him, but he's really going to be mad when he realizes that mommy is gone all weekend and won't be around to spoil him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom