When should i go to the vet? Could she be egg bound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening people, here is the thing:

My female beardie was getting ready to lay an infertile batch of eggs which i did not know was possible. So it took me a 3-4 days to realize something was wrong, but in the end i googled her behavior since she was trying to dig through the carpet. Not before she devoured a box of crickets though. So i got her some nice compact dirt made from coconut fiber that the guy in the pet store suggested the very next day. The morning after(2 days ago) she layed a 7 eggs but i can feel 1-2 still inside(out of them i felt at least one moving while she was on my hand basking). Now the thing is i think an imminent bowel movement has halted the laying of the rest of the eggs since she woke up at 6am to lay the first few and has been exhausted but regaining strength. Since money is kinda tight do i have the luxury of waiting to see if she lays them after she takes care of digestion or could she be in danger and a vet visit is a must? I must admit she has been kinda lethargic but since it has been only 2 days i give that to egg poopin for now.

Edit: By lethargic behavior i mean not moving around much and closing her eyes while basking but still standing tall. I do not actually know the syptoms of such a condition even though i get the general meaning.

Thanks in advance
-A really worried beardie owner

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If she begins to go downhill at any time you should have a vet lined up that can do an ultrasound or X-ray to see if there are eggs. The can possibly give her a shot of Oxytocin to induce egg laying. For now try putting her in some warm water for about 10 minutes, that may get her to lay any leftover eggs.

Can you post a few pics of her ? Also some of her set up ?

MrNutbutters

Original Poster
Certainly
here is her
92364-5655301609.jpg
92364-170562673.jpg
92364-7943640318.jpg

and her enclosure
92364-7665136871.jpg

also i took a pic when she made her eggs
92364-4790369445.jpg

i also noticed that while she has no problem standing and walking her back legs seem tired when she tries to climb. maybe that's because of laying too though

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's a pretty little girl, nice pattern. :) She is a bit thin and her weakness is probably due to her body needing more calcium because she's been forming the eggs. What exactly does she eat and how much + what type of calcium powder do you use ?

Extra calcium and getting her out in the sun [ not in a glass tank though ] can help her. What exact type + watts is the uvb bulb you have there ? Looks like a compact of some kind ?

MrNutbutters

Original Poster
Thanks she is a cutie indeed.
Her uv lamp is a reptisun 10.0 (it's compact not a coil)
As for her dust i buy zoo med's reptivite w/ D3

Now as feeding habits go i was informed that chinese cabbage with dust i a sufficient salad staple(even though i would put some other fruit or green from time to time if it was ok for beardies) and grasshopers as her meat staple for extra protein(i did not dust them though)

The problem is i was not feeding her as much because i did not know she was forming eggs and i simply thought she was getting fat.

The moment she is done with eggs i am gonna spoi the **** out of her food wise, but i was told not to feed her until she is done.

Hope this helps

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Who told you not to feed her until she's done laying ? If she is willing to eat you definitely should offer food. Some dragons don't eat prior to or near laying time, but food should be offered.

Better greens are turnip, mustard, collard, arugula and dandelion. Small amounts of kale, but not as a staple. You can also get plain calcium powder along with the Reptivite to offer more calcium. The Reptivite is good but it's always best to have plain calcium on hand.

Sometimes the compact uvb's don't produce enough uvb or they can also burn a dragon's eyes, especially when at close range. You might want to invest in a Reptisun 10.0 t5 bulb + fixture. If you can get her in the sun for 1-2 hours a day she'll get plenty of uvb.

MrNutbutters

Original Poster
She does not accept food currently but thank you for the info, i will look into expanding her staple, i was also thinking of peas and beans for the extra protein

As far as the uv lamp is concerned, i was thinking about getting a tube. Until then though the summer is arriving in greece so it will be warm enough for me to chill with her directly under the sun

Currently my main concern is that until she poops i will not be able to be sure about the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom