I am very worried about my beardie please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon monica is malnourished because she has been eating less. But thats not all she has some scab like things on her and one just fell off and now I can see the flesh under it. She has another large scab like thing where her leg meets her body. And its surrounded by gray. Also she is shedding weirdly under her knee joints and sholder joints. Please Help me. I don't know what i should do
92355-8147142837.jpg
This is monica
92355-8727910439.jpg
This is where the thing came off
92355-8161818827.jpg
This is the 2nd one where her leg meets her body

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, the coloring might just be an uneven shed, but try to get some pics in better light and without your fingers in the way. The other spots look like small blemishes , not really harmful looking but I can't see them well enough. You can get some betadine from a drug store + dilute it with water until it's the color of iced tea. Soak him in about 2" for 10 minutes but don't let him drink any. If he ikes to drink while being soaked, give him a very short soak in plain water first to let him drink, then add the betadine for him to soak.

But try to get some better pics...I don't think there's anything serious though but if things get worse you can look for a qualified reptile vet for Monica..

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Poor girl .... those look very sore and they are in a high friction area too so when ever she walks they will be painful.

In addition to the suggestion of soaks in dilute betadiene , I suggest applying Medi-honey (Manuka honey) to those nasty sores / ulcers .

I'm not sure about the discoloration in the skin about them , could be puss or exudate being spread when she's walking , if they are generating puss , perhaps she needs a course of antibiotics from a vet.

One of the tips my dietitian gave me was that in order to prevent skin breakdown while on OptiFast Phase Two ( only on normal meal per day ) I need ingest extra protein to help with skin healing (I have pressure ulcers on my inner thighs and under my tummy's skirt) ,so I've added an extra Optifast meal substitute or BeneProtein to one of my Optifast Shakes or Optifast puddings.
If you can get her eat some high protein food (GrubPie made as a paste and given by syringe) I suspect this will have a few benefits for her including
>> the insect protein in it building her up and helping her immune system
>> giving her extra calcium
>> helping her heal those "ulcers" and grow new skin there.

I hope she heals up.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
In that pic it looks more suspicious. You might really want to take her to an experienced reptile vet to have a skin scraping to check to see if it's fungus.

LizardPerson

Original Poster
How do i get her to eat because shes not eating unless i can put it in her mouth a bit then she takes it and eats it but she wpnt eat or drink on her own anymore

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I would not hesitate in getting her to only a certified reptile vet immediately, that looks to me to be Yellow Fungus, which needs immediate and long-term vet care by a reptile vet that has experience with it. The coloring combined with the scabbing is almost certainly Yellow Fungus. I'm very sorry, but you need to get the entire enclosure and everything in it sanitized with bleach and rinsed thoroughly and completely until all of the bleach smell is gone. Then dry everything thoroughly and use only paper towels as a substrate.

No more baths or spraying your beardie, moisture just feeds the fungus. You'll need to drop water on her snout or force feed water with a syringe. Until you get her to a reptile vet you can do a mixture of Betadine and warm water until it looks like weak tea. Soak her in that, cleanse her thoroughly (do not let her drink any), Pat her completely dry, and apply Lotrimin cream to the entire area. Do this entire procedure twice a day.

I can't tell you enough to get her to a certified Herp vet before this spreads any more, because it's extremely difficult to treat and once it's out of control it's very tough...

Hopefully someone who has treated before will jump in...You can't be 100% sure it's Yellow Fungus without a skin scraping, but I'm pretty sure...

LizardPerson

Original Poster
Will those hurt her if it isn't yellow fungus and how much would a visit to a vet cost with medication if needed because I am kinda short on money right now. Could i use repticarpet as substrate?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If it's YF.

I think you might need to bring the big guns ie F10 barrier Ointment

xcu253.jpg

16jefs9.png

and I'd recommend F10sc added 1 part to 200 of water and sprayed on all the beardie's furnature and the tank surfaces , simply spray , let airdry for 30 minutes , clean up residue with dry paper towel - all done ==> no more bacteria , viruses or fungi / mould / yeast . To make even more effective F10sc added 1 part in 150 of water will kill ALL GERMS.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Like I said, if it's Yellow Fungus, but I'd bet on it...

No, the Betadine and the antifungal won't hurt her, regardless it needs cleaned out daily, and it's most likely a fungus so the Lotrimin is key. And buying some F10 to use instead of bleach is a great idea too.

There's no way to guess on vet costs, they're all different, but it must be a reptile vet to treat it properly. I'd call around and see what the visit plus a skin scraping test will be, and figure you'll need medications as well. You have to take her, if it is yellow fungus I going to keep spreading like wildfire until you do, eventually causing horrible sickness and death. I'd do some searches on here for yellow fungus, there are some posts of people that had to treat their dragons for over a year, doing debridements and medication applications every day for months and months, it's a very serious disease and very hard to treat. I'm very, very sorry but if you can't afford to get her to a reptile vet immediately you need to rehome her to someone that will, like a reptile rescue. It's that serious.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, I'm so sorry this happened ! :( It was probably yellow fungus, such a horrible disease that claims too many beardies. There may have been other hidden health problems as well. But my heart goes out to you, I'm really, really sorry that you lost Monica. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom