A lot of blood in stool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is a bit concerning. It's a good sign she isn't acting lethargic though. Perhaps she just as an upset stomach or strained a bit and caused a small tear somewhere along the line which is causing some bleeding. If that's the case, then it should heal up on it's own. If it continues though I would try to get some advanced diagnostics done if possible. It's hard for me to say what it might be without more information.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would be a lot more worried if she was showing a black beard or acting lethargic. Perhaps offer her some extra water and see if it helps flush her system out a bit. I hope it's just an upset stomach and passes on it's own. That happens from time to time with humans due to inflammation for one reason or another.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If her weight is stable I'd stick with water for now and try to limit force feeding. If her weight is decreasing you might want to try the baby food. I wouldn't force it at the moment though. Just let her lick some up from her nose if she wants it.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I hate to be this person but I just wanted to share.

My girl Simon would not eat for about 2 months, was always bright and happy, basking, gaping, alert, aware, very alive. Her issue was in addition to not eating she was passing small yellow urates throughout the day. I posted several times on this board for insight and basically, Simon acting like she was fine was a huge lie and threw a lot of people off. I sought help from a vet and veteran keepers on the forum during this time, no one really knew what was wrong, but she was alert and maintaining her weight so was deemed otherwise healthy.

She took a complete turn for the worse on 5/3. I saw her on my lunch break that day and she was fine, got home from work and she was black bearding, limp, and very unresponsive to stimuli. It's worth noting she began passing blood instead of urates that night... I did not share this information with the forum, I knew she was dying. She passed away the next morning in my arms before her vet visit. After an autopsy, it was found she had cancer in her kidneys.

I don't mean this at all to say this what you're going through and how yours will end, more so a precautionary tale that dragons are very good at pretending nothing is wrong until they can't any longer. I knew Simon was having discomfort with using the restroom, but I was working with a vet to figure out why. Her passing was very sudden. My family was just over on 5/2 and talking about cute she was, etc. It was the day right after her body just failed.

I hope the situation with your girl is not like my story. I hope this is a minor thing that just kind of heals up and goes away, but I thought it was important to tell you what I had experienced as there are some similarities.
I wish you the best of luck, and please keep us posted

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I truly hope it's not going to be something that serious. I thought I'd add an experience that was on here a year or two ago about an old but very healthy appearing dragon . It passed a lot of blood and did not seem affected. I believe the owner had it checked out + nothing could be found. Of course there is definitely something happening to cause it, but the beardie never became ill. It was never clear if maybe it had a polyp rupture inside or something but it remained in good health. I think Tracie would remember that one. I tried to search for it here but there are about 600-700 blood threads.

So although there's a chance that it's very serious and it's good to be aware , it might turn out to be nothing too harmful....hoping it turns out that way !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom