One very unhappy boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelique

Yesterday I brought a beautiful new dragon into our home. She is from the same hatchling as my boy. He wants no part of her being in the house. I have 3 other lizards that are not breadies and he does fine with them. He doesn't mind my dogs even seems to really like one of them, but I had to put the female dragon Autumn into a separate room so he would calm down. I feel bad about her being in a room by her self . Is there a way to help him except her and her enclosure ?
91271-4936333788.jpg

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Honestly, I would keep them separate at ALL times - even when in their enclosures. As beardies are solitary creatures, they can easily be stressed even by the sight of another beardie

Angelique

Original Poster
Ok thank you. I have set her and her tank up in my daughter's room (she is 15 and grew up with lizards) so she would not be in a room alone all the time.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
JessPets":3a3orcwj said:
Honestly, I would keep them separate at ALL times - even when in their enclosures. As beardies are solitary creatures, they can easily be stressed even by the sight of another beardie

It's mating season in the N.hemisphere, and he's got ONE THING on his mind .... and she's the object of his intentions. Definitely keep them separate.

All my lizards are in the same room and boy lizards come mating season definitely know there is a girl present BUT I never let the boys and girls out together.
Is fun and interesting to see the flurting and displaying , arm waving & headnods from the girls when they see the boy is on the floor and he's trying to impress them (with backbearding and headbanging). But this only really lasts for a few weeks and when the hormones return to regular levels things calm down.
I make sure they never meet each other without the sides of a rearing tub or the glass front doors between them.

Definitely give her a few weeks to settle in. And BTW it's been my observation that pet lizards do get jealous and upset when a new lizard comes into the home and they observe you feeding , petting and cuddling the newcomer .

Angelique

Original Poster
Thank you. He is in a 55 gallon tall tank and for the moment she is in a 20 long tank . I was not planning on having another dragon as I have 2 blue bellied lizards and an alagator lizard already but when I found out his sister needed a home I couldn't say no but he has stolen my heart sense I took him in this March and the last thing I want is to upset him or cause him any stress as he went through enough stress the first year of his life in the home he was rescued from.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Angelique":3ipt9m8o said:
Thank you. He is in a 55 gallon tall tank and for the moment she is in a 20 long tank . I was not planning on having another dragon as I have 2 blue bellied lizards and an alagator lizard already but when I found out his sister needed a home I couldn't say no but he has stolen my heart sense I took him in this March and the last thing I want is to upset him or cause him any stress as he went through enough stress the first year of his life in the home he was rescued from.

If they are both siblings and over 18 months old, it's time to start work on building a twin bay stacked enclosure from either MDF or plywood , that has essentially two front opening 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tanks ( about 120 gallons each ) stacked ontop of each other with an air gap between for their forever homes.
........A very common setup here ( three stacked tanks or even 4 stacked tanks (slightly less tall each , maybe 18 inches tall each tank are commonly used to house adult bearded dragons here in Australia , none of those silly glass fishtanks with mesh lids , they are frowned on for bearded dragons) .

Angelique

Original Poster
I love your set-up. Stacking seems to be a good choice he really does not act well when he can see her or smells her on me lol

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
traildrifterphalanx":2r02nl6u said:
I actually have my enclosures stacked so they can't see each other. Richter gets very territorial when he sees another dragon
89300-3098633741.jpg

Good way of doing it , only major issues I can see with your set up are
1) glass tanks with mesh tops ( very much not the best tank for a beardie )
2) uv source and hood mounted ontop of the mesh top so not as effective at providing UVA and UVB as it would be otherwise.

A mate of mine who is a beardie breeder and also breeds shingleback skinks just had the cabinet maker who installed his new kitchen cabinets and benches build for him some custom MDF "lizard cabinets" (2 cabinets which are 5 enclosures each , both on coasters for ease of movement , wouldn't tell me house his custom cabinets cost - wont be cheap built by a professional cabinet maker).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Angelique":3kwkuj7f said:
I love your set-up. Stacking seems to be a good choice he really does not act well when he can see her or smells her on me lol

If you do a stacked tanks arrangement , put the stroppy boy in the bottom tank, he wont get to smell her all the time and wont be able to pester her like he will if she's in the bottom tank and not him.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
kingofnobbys":22ltjp1k said:
Good way of doing it , only major issues I can see with your set up are
1) glass tanks with mesh tops ( very much not the best tank for a beardie )
2) uv source and hood mounted ontop of the mesh top so not as effective at providing UVA and UVB as it would be otherwise.

Thanks, but I have no issues with my setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom