Swollen, watery eyes; local vet is unsure of what's up

Status
Not open for further replies.

iProd

Original Poster
Yeah, they were thinking the next steps would be a blood culture to check for a system-wide infection and/or a CT scan to see if there's anything in her that may be obstructing blood flow. For the news of pinworms, am I right to think a full viv disinfection is a good idea? Could these critters live in wood that I should cook or replace wood accessories?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah a general cleanup is a good idea. They can be wiped out by standard disinfectants so spraying things down with some F10SC should do the trick. I usually rinse wood items and tile off and then put them in the oven on low for an hour or so which disinfects them nicely.

iProd

Original Poster
Sounds good to me. It sounds like a CT scan may be a good idea, but it sounds pricey...I'll have to ask them how much it will run.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd ask if they think they can gather valuable information from it. I had a CT done one one of my dragons a few years ago and I remember it being in the $400-500 range but prices for vet care seem to vary wildly depending on where you are so I'd check with them about cost beforehand.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That might be a bit too close on the distance. Definitely try turning it off for a few days to see if there is any improvement.
Sorry if I missed it somewhere but has a blood test been done to determine kidney & liver function?
That would be important to know that information, too.
Also try getting some chamomile tea bags & getting them moistened & warm. At night before bed, place them on her eyes making sure they are not too warm. You can put a towel over them too for a 10 or so minute time period. This can help with pain, swelling & or inflammation.
I hope the vetericyn helps out too. Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
iProd":37z8sthn said:
Also, here's a few photos of the current state of her eyes. The stuff on her snout is just the Carnivore Care I've been feeding her;

https://imgur.com/a/EUkfm

Oh .... her eyes look somewhat like how Puff's bad eye was before he wacked it on the edge of his grotto and added blood and a shiner to the issue.
The vet told me his eye swelling was due to the "abscess on the back his head " (was actually a large aneurism on his jugular) and fluid pressure buildup in the tissues on that side of his face and in the eye sock pushing his eyeball out somewhat.

Pure speculation on my part , might be something similar happening in both your girl's eyesockets (ie some problem in her neck or soft tissues in her head producing extra fluid pressure behind eyeballs in the soft tissues in her eyesockets) might need an ultrasound or NMR scan to spot the cause if it doesn't show in xrays or indicative in swabs or pathology on her bloods.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
iProd":knzv4k9o said:
Yeah, they were thinking the next steps would be a blood culture to check for a system-wide infection <<<< I would have thought this was already in hand (and just waiting in results
and/or a CT scan to see if there's anything in her that may be obstructing blood flow. <<<< that's a good idea .....CT / NMR scan ...... and sure beat flying blind and perhaps only making things worse or doing very invasive surgery without really knowing what is going on.

For the news of pinworms, am I right to think a full viv disinfection is a good idea? Could these critters live in wood that I should cook or replace wood accessories?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree that the lights are way too close. The Reptisun 10.0 t5 is designed to sit at least 12-14 " away. Please try adjusting it and the MVB [ if you still have it ] before you get a bunch of expensive tests done. The powerful uvb is just too close. Hopefully that will help, it may take a couple of weeks though.

You can also try some raw, unpasteurized honey in her eye. [ from health store or beekeeper ] It'a a natural antibiotic and can be used in the eye. If you use it, dilute it with a bit of warm water to make it easier to apply.But just getting the bulbs further away may do the trick on it's own.

iProd

Original Poster
Good morning everyone,

Tracie; No worries! Kidney and liver function were struck off the list, she did have a blood test done in the beginning. I've had her UVB lamp off the last two days, no immediate signs of change yet but I will give it time. The weather has also been nice and hot for her (disgusting for me) that I've been taking her outside for some real sunshine. I'll also give the tea bags a try, I do have some chamomile around here somewhere.

kingofnobbys; Interesting, I did have a similar suggestion from someone who runs a bearded dragon rescue; her first thought looking through my thread is a reflux issue with the reflux valve in their blood vessels that pulls the blood back in when they puff up for shedding purposes. So the little flap gets stuck open and there's always blood pooling in their eyes. It causes pinched tear ducts which causes weeping and they always look swollen. Unfortunately, she says there's no way to fix it...Her other idea could be an aneurysm. :(

AHBD; I forgot about those aspects of honey, certainly worth the try for her.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
iProd":pzapy3z4 said:
Good morning everyone,

Tracie; No worries! Kidney and liver function were struck off the list, she did have a blood test done in the beginning. I've had her UVB lamp off the last two days, no immediate signs of change yet but I will give it time. The weather has also been nice and hot for her (disgusting for me) that I've been taking her outside for some real sunshine. I'll also give the tea bags a try, I do have some chamomile around here somewhere.

kingofnobbys; Interesting, I did have a similar suggestion from someone who runs a bearded dragon rescue; her first thought looking through my thread is a reflux issue with the reflux valve in their blood vessels that pulls the blood back in when they puff up for shedding purposes. So the little flap gets stuck open and there's always blood pooling in their eyes. It causes pinched tear ducts which causes weeping and they always look swollen. Unfortunately, she says there's no way to fix it...Her other idea could be an aneurysm. :(
<<<< I REALLY HOPE IT"S NOT AN ANEURYSM

--- I researched as much as I could about reptile aneurisms and the prognosis is very poor , even if the vet surgeon can successfully drain it and repair the artery and the reptile survives the procedure (extreme blood loss is usual and sometimes a sacrificial reptile of the same species is used to replace the blood loss) , and if it survives recovery (Puff didn't , but no sacrifial beardied was used either and his aneurism was very large), they are prone to recurrent aneurisms for the rest of their lives.

story of Puff's aneurism -
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=216352&hilit=+lump+on+head#p1688638 ,
had I not been convinced by the vet's bad diagnosis as an abscess (after he drew a small needle sample) , AND AN EXPERT researcher I'd asked to review the progress of his growing lump (she told he's be dead already if it was an aneurism .... wrong again) , I'd be right all along
as I strongly suspected an aneurism , then I would not have agreed to have his lump removed (worse mistake of my life and I regret Puff's last experiences of life being horrible ones of a strangers doing hurty things to him (needles) in a scary incomprehensible place full of scary strange sites, smells, sounds and people - the vet told me I was not allowed to be with him while he was prepped and given his general ... :(

AHBD; I forgot about those aspects of honey, certainly worth the try for her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please let us know how your baby is doing! I hope that he starts to improve, but it may take a bit for the swelling to go down if it is light related.
I am glad to hear that his kidneys & liver are fine! :D

Tracie

iProd

Original Poster
Hey guys, unfortunately nothing super improved. However, Friday I was able to feed her 2 1/2 hornworms!

http://i.imgur.com/KiDVwj0.jpg

Her swelling had gone down just a little bit, but enough to allow her to kind of see (not very well, I had to assist her in eating the hornworms by dangling them right in front of her). Saturday, it's gone back to being swollen and sightless; UVB light has remained off. I'm continuing to give her the de-wormer they gave me.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing!
So it did go down some but then went back up?
Your basking light is just a regular bright white light, correct & isn't coated with neodymium?
Which dewormer did the vet give for her?
I am glad to hear she has had a few worms then. I hope things start improving soon.

Tracie

iProd

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

That's correct, just a regular white light. The dewormer they gave me for her is Panacur, they told me to give her 0.17mL a day for three days; I've read online this varies, I'm on day three now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom