HELP!! BUMP ON TAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I'd be very concerned about an infection spreading from the necrotic tissue at the end of his tail upwards towards his body. Just because he's on an antibiotic does not mean it's the correct antibiotic for that particular infection (unless a vet did a culture of the end of his tail and an antibiotic sensitivity test to determine the correct antibiotic for that specific bacteria), and soaks/Neosporin will do little for an aggressive internal infection. Yes it looks like a shed coming on, which can obviously cause issues, but his tail has already had an infection and tissue die. So it's very hard to tell sometimes what's going on internally without blood work to get a white cell count, and a culture from the actual infected tissue. It's a scary and frustrating problem because on one hand that dead tissue may just drop off and the stub may heal with no issues, and that bump further up may be nothing, but on the other hand the infection that caused the already dead tissue may have spread upward (or the open, dying tissue may have allowed a new bacterial infection in and it's spreading), and that bump may very well be an abscess. The only way to find out it to have a Herp vet aspirate the bump and check for lymphocytes. If it is an abscess it will eventually cause sepsis without getting him a proper diagnosis and proper treatment.

matero3o

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
@ellen
i just emailed my vet photos of the bump and how the tail looks, she will probably get back to me very soon.

matero3o

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
unable to go today because i dont have a ride, will he be okay till like later on this week?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah just keep an eye on the tip of the tail. If the necrotic (shriveled) part appears to travel further up the tail then it becomes a more urgent matter but if that area is staying put then it's not an immediate concern. Hopefully it will just fall off and heal over and that will be that.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
blacker, shriveled, further up the tail than it is currently. If it is an active infection, you don't want it to spread further.

matero3o

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
emailed vet, if i dont get a response by tomorrow i'll call the vets office.

anyways
just spent a nice afternoon outside with both of my beardies, ate many dandelions and slept in grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom