New Baby Not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agdarnell98

Hey everyone. I am new to this forum. I have had an adult bearded that I rescued for a few years but 2 days ago I picked up my first baby. I am a little bit worried because he/she doesn't seem to be eating. I know the petsmart employee said they had been feeding a combo of crickets and meal worms. After doing research I have learned the mealworms aren't a good idea. Unfortunatly thats the only thing he has eaten in the last two days and that was only one worm. I have left a few very small crickets in his viv with as well as wax worms and today I added some Juvenile bearded dragon entree from natgeo him but he wants nothing to do with anything. Just a little while ago I used some of my crested gecko diet and placed it on his nose and he licked it off but I don't want to give him to much fruit.I also haven't seem him poop yet which is the most concerning thing to me now since what I have read says that the mealworms petsmart has been feeding him can cause impaction. Any ideas guys? My girlfriend has given me a lot of crap because of the amount of reptiles I have and this is the first one she picked out and it is getting her into the reptile world so I need this to go well! Plus I'm worried the little guy is sick and I'm getting attached already! I will put a few pictures below of his viv and him. Thanks for all the help! Looking forward to being a part of this site!
91950-2764488501.jpg
91950-4458006863.jpg
91950-4340995005.jpg

Bear333

Awww! What a cutie:) If you think your beardie may be impacted, the Best thing to do is to give your beardie a warm bath up to the shoulders. And about the no eating problem, this is very common. When bearded dragons, espspecially the babies, are moved into a new environment, they can become stressed. My Bearded Dragon did the same thing when I first got him. He didn't eat anything for almost 5 days. I was very concerned! But after he got settled, he decided he wanted to eat. Haha He devoured 30 crickets in 10 minutes.he even Licked the water that I sprayed onto him with his water bottle. I was overjoyed that my baby was finally eating. I definitely suggest giving your beardie a bath. let me know how your new bearded dragon does:)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty alert. It's common for them to not eat very much after a move. They can also act a little skittish and stressed out. Give him some time to settle in. Keep offering crickets but I wouldn't leave them in the tank. Just offer a few and give him some time to go after them. If he doesn't show interest, take them out and try again later. I also suggest trying some black soldier fly larvae. They're soft and easy for little guys to handle. They are a good healthy option as well. I would avoid using the commercial diets for the most part in favor of nutritious live bugs.

Agdarnell98

Original Poster
Bear333":210nqt3q said:
Awww! What a cutie:) If you think your beardie may be impacted, the Best thing to do is to give your beardie a warm bath up to the shoulders. And about the no eating problem, this is very common. When bearded dragons, espspecially the babies, are moved into a new environment, they can become stressed. My Bearded Dragon did the same thing when I first got him. He didn't eat anything for almost 5 days. I was very concerned! But after he got settled, he decided he wanted to eat. Haha He devoured 30 crickets in 10 minutes.he even Licked the water that I sprayed onto him with his water bottle. I was overjoyed that my baby was finally eating. I definitely suggest giving your beardie a bath. let me know how your new bearded dragon does:)

Thanks! What does the bath do? Im assuming just loosen her up on the inside? I am going to try that tomorrow first thing after work and see what happens.

Agdarnell98

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3b3j3dkt said:
I also suggest trying some black soldier fly larvae. They're soft and easy for little guys to handle. They are a good healthy option as well. I would avoid using the commercial diets for the most part in favor of nutritious live bugs.

Where can I look for the Soldier Fly Larvae??? I assume a regular pet store won't carry something like that.

Bogathedragon

Hatchling Member
when i got my baby almost exactly the same size as yours, he didnt eat for about 5 days and when he ate, he ate waxworms, the his poop was just the worms fused together!

Bear333

Thanks! What does the bath do? Im assuming just loosen her up on the inside? I am going to try that tomorrow first thing after work and see what happens.[/quote]

That's exactly right! The bath will just kind of get things
moving. Good idea on the crested gecko food, but to solve impaction you can try some prune baby food on the tip of the nose with a syringe. Make sure the baby food has no artificial colorings or added sugar. Of course, this is if the bath doesn't work! Just a good 10-15 minute soak should do the trick:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom