Beardie salad dressing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmayer13

Hey beardie brothers and sisters. Charlie has been having difficulty eating his veggies for awhile now. By difficulty I mean he's too spoiled and refuses to eat them. Anyhow I've seen so called bearded dragon salad dressing for sale but have noticed it's loaded with preservatives. So could I just make my own and have any of you tried making your own? Any results? Recipes? Thanks

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Hey,

I found out my two year old likes strawberry juice (squashed from strawberries) on his salad. He also like canned pumpkin (no spices) spread on like we do to ranch on our salads. He goes for the pumpkin but does end up snagging greens/veggies. Do you know what fruit or veggie he likes? I had to play with food items for a while till I found out what he likes.

Your dragon sounds like mine when he was a year old. Picky boy. I hope this helps you out.

How old is he? If he's younger than 1 year, then he won't touch greens. No worries. Yes do not use the salad dressing!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree. Don't bother with the commercial "salad dressing" products. It's best to keep offering variety and rotate options to find what he likes best. As mentioned, since he is an adult he's probably just being picky but the veges should make up most of his diet. I only offer a full bug meal to my guy (2yrs) once every 3-4 days or so and salads every day. He will dig in if he gets hungry. If he's a healthy weight he can go for a while without food so that helps them be picky when they feel like it. It's certainly worth trying some of the natural options mentioned such as strawberry juice or a small bit of other fruit on top of the salad to try and get his attention. I've also had good luck with hand feeding veges so I can create a bit of movement to the salad.

jmayer13

Original Poster
Charlie is 4 now. He used to be a great little leaf muncher. It's only been about the last year or so he has gotten to be a picky bugger. He used to live collared greens and kale to leaser extent. Now he will eat like one or 2 bites of collared green if I hand feed him then he holds out for fruit and superworms and crickets. I usually give him 2 to 3 supers a day or 10 crickets for meat then 4 or 5 blueberries. I've found that he loves honeydew melon and he also likes sweet potatoes and squash but them are probably just like fruit to him with their high sugar content. I picked out a bunch of different veggies today at the market plus parsley and basil. Im waiting for dandelions to start growing up here in mn so I can try feeding him them and clovers. I've tried rubbing fruit juice on his veggies but he digs he knows then he snubs his nose and waits for the good stuff. I'll try to start being a disciplinarian and hold out on him until he has to eat his greens or go hungry. He's about 600 grams so he could lose a little weight. It's just not fun being the meanie to my baby boy but I know its for his own good.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At 600g he is a good weight and doesn't need so much protein. He could do with a couple of bug meals a week and daily salads. See if cutting back on the bugs (especially supers) helps get him back into the salads a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom