Am I taking my baby out too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mullisar2

I'm sorry for a lot of questions lately, I'm just really new to have a beardie. Now I know that they're supposed to be under their lights and ask throughout the day but recently my Natsu has been wanting to be taken out a lot more. He gets jumpy for a while and wants to run everywhere, but since he's still really little I don't let him farther than my arm. After a bit of trying to climb over me and get farther, he'll lay down and snuggle against me. I wanted to know if I should just keep him in his tank unless I need to take him out or if I'm good to just continue what I'm doing? He's in the process of shedding a bit now so I figured letting him out and resting too much would be bad. His temps are good, he has a good medium of temps in the tank that are good for him and he has veggies, water and things to climb on and everything. I like to think it's not because of his comfort in his home. Help me lol

TheKooGuy22

When in the process of shedding, put them in warm water for about 15 - 30 minutes. This helps them with the shedding and keeping them hydrated as well. Do this once or twice a week. As far as letting him out of the tank, you can do so, just not for too long. Bearded Dragons are not much of cuddlers, so if you see him do that, he's probably seeking for warmth. If you feel that he is not liking his tank, maybe consider moving his furniture around, if not make sure the bank is big enough for him. I have two bearded dragons, Drogon is a central beardie and Spyro is a Dwarf. I never bother them in the tank, especially when they look comfortable or when they're in the basking area. Since Spryo is small, the tank is always good enough room for him. Drogon is a different story, he'll scratch the tank when he wants to get out (which is only once or twice out of the week). I'll let Drogon and Spryo on the bed and i'll let the pillows and blanket smashed up and spreaded out at the same time to make it more of a play ground for them. As far as taking them outside! WARNING!! If he is small, Do NOT take him outside. They can jump off you, wind can blow them off, they can run fast and where somewhere you can not reach. My Spyro was blown by wind before and fell, I had to take him to the vet, luckily he is fine!. Also, it is recommended that they get no more than 10minutes of outside sun. Make sure the weather is 80 degrees and up. No higher than 95 degrees I would say. Also! PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THEM UNATTENDED. I read another persons post.. He decided to leave his bearded dragon ALONE.. Outside... for 10 minutes... GONE ... Sad..

Mullisar2

Original Poster
Oh my gosh, that's so sad! :( Usually if it's pretty warm outside and not super windy, I'll open up my window that has a screen on it and let Natsu sit in the window sill. But I never like to leave him alone, that's kind of my problem. But as far as baths, I've been giving him a bath a day for the most part. Sometimes I space out on it but since he never drinks water, that's a good way for him to do so. That's actually the only time he'll drink water. And I was never sure if missing them actually helped them. But as far as letting them be in the tank, I need to work on that. Since he started shedding he hasn't ate and doesn't move around much, so I just feel like he wants to be out more, but what you said makes more sense.

Mullisar2

Original Poster
My boyfriend just thinks I'm spoiling him when I have him out and let him nap. And I started worrying for his health so that's why I decided to ask

Stres

Hatchling Member
Mullisar2":2v16rw62 said:
But as far as baths, I've been giving him a bath a day for the most part.

I'm far from an expert or experienced but that seems like a lot of bathing, I'm not sure if that's a good thing for an arid species like beardies.

I know there's a lot of people here who bathe them up to 3 times a week and others who never bathe them unless there shedding or havn't had a bowel movement for a few days.

I'd be cautious about bathing every day even if the beardie seems to enjoy it, just on the off chance that it might contribute to an upper respiratory infection (which seems common in captive beardies if exposed to high humidity) maybe someone else more experienced can add their opinion it might be totally harmless.

Mullisar2

Original Poster
If there's even a chance that it could cause something, then I have no problem stopping bathing him so often. I just was worried about him becoming dehydrated.

Stres

Hatchling Member
It would probably be fine, I just don't think most people bathe them so frequently.
My little guy doesn't drink from the bath water so I just drip water on his nose for him to lick off using a needless syringe/pippet type thing every other day.

Mullisar2

Original Poster
Well when he's in the bath, he'll drink a little bit here and there throughout, sometimes I'm lucky and he'll drink some water off a spoon but rarely. I too him out for a moment to see if he'd eat some crickets and he ate one then wanted picked up. So I held him for a few and put him back in his tank. But now he's hanging out on the cooler side and looks sleepy. This is the first time I've seen him shed(even though it's not much) so I'm definitely worrying a lot more

I have a 6 month old beardie and she loves to be held and taken out of her cage. She'll usually snuggle in bed with me or on my hand but I never let her roam free. She has good temps in her cage but she likes to get out and run around on my bed for a few minutes every day. I usually don't keep her out longer than 30 minutes though

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TheKooGuy22":37hkj959 said:
Also! PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE THEM UNATTENDED. I read another persons post.. He decided to leave his bearded dragon ALONE.. Outside... for 10 minutes... GONE ... Sad..

If that's the post I think it is ( viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232557 ) it's the general view that this person who only posted 1 time and never returned (under that name) is a troll.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Stres":hu19d8ay said:
Mullisar2":hu19d8ay said:
But as far as baths, I've been giving him a bath a day for the most part.

I'm far from an expert or experienced but that seems like a lot of bathing, I'm not sure if that's a good thing for an arid species like beardies.

I know there's a lot of people here who bathe them up to 3 times a week and others who never bathe them unless there shedding or havn't had a bowel movement for a few days.

I'd be cautious about bathing every day even if the beardie seems to enjoy it, just on the off chance that it might contribute to an upper respiratory infection (which seems common in captive beardies if exposed to high humidity) maybe someone else more experienced can add their opinion it might be totally harmless.

I think bathing daily is too much....

Only time I'd consider this would be if I had a really tiny hatchling ( younger than 2 months ) , it was heatwave conditions and if my aircon was not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom