switching from cool to hot side

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayce82

Juvie Member
is it normal for adult beardie to bounce back and forth from cool to hot side through out the day? mostly staying on cool side but does go to warm side when needed. he is 13 months old

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
It's very normal for them to move between spots. However, it depends on how much, and it depends on the demeanor of the dragon. My dragon is VERY lazy. She spends most of her day perched up on her basking spot. Even when I take her out to roam, she tends to stay in one spot most of the time. How much time is your dragon spending in the cool end? They should spend most of the day in the warm end. I ask because if he is spending more time in the cool end, the warm side may actually be TOO warm. Also, he is not an adult until around 18 months. At 13 months, they are still considered a juvenille. Just to clarify :)

jayce82

Juvie Member
Original Poster
he spends majority on cool side. I use digital thermometers with probes to determine temps and also use ir gun. his warm side is at 91-93 degrees and cool side 79-80 degrees. basking rock is at 107 degrees. should I try cooking the warm side down some?

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Those temps seem correct however you could turning it down in the basking area to 103 or 104 and see what happens. I know the recommended temperature range is from 105 to 115. But my girl seems to prefer it closer to 100. At one point, I had the basking spot at 110 and she was NOT a fan. Maybe your guy feels similarly, lol.

jayce82

Juvie Member
Original Poster
my only issue is if I drop the basking temp down the the air temp is going to drop too or will that matter?

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
If you only drop it 3-4 degrees it won't be a problem. Try it out and if it doesn't work, let us know :)

But do give it a few days too.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The term for the behavior is "shuttling" and it's totally normal thermoreguatory behavior. As long as your dragon is active (not sleeping on the cool side or listless there) or avoiding the warm side I wouldn't worry and it's probably a good way for him to get some exersize. Prolonged basking can actually be a negative behavior and can indicate low temps.

Make sure the basking area is a nice large patch of even warmth and let him do his thing :)

jayce82

Juvie Member
Original Poster
may I ask what listless is? and yes he is still active and moves around a good bit. he is a rather lazy guy and doesn't move all day long. he likes to find comfy spots and watch everything going on in the house. here is a pic of his setup right now.
89083-5940013379.jpg

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Listless would be... sortof droopy and sickly.

Dragons a natural energy conservers, but if he is alert and otherwise active just hangs out on the cool side I wouldn't worry. Pepper hangs out more in the middle of his cage and spends all day going back and forth.

jayce82

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ok well you just made me feel a lot better. he's definitely not sickly, he's still acting normal.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Taterbug":13hnvnk9 said:
Listless would be... sortof droopy and sickly. <<<< if when you pick him and he is able to support his own weight , he's pretty much fine , if he's really floppy that's a BAD SIGN....

Dragons a natural energy conservers, but if he is alert and otherwise active just hangs out on the cool side I wouldn't worry. Pepper hangs out more in the middle of his cage and spends all day going back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom