Anyone have experience with yellow fungus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jelandusn

It looks like my guy may have it. ? If he does, I'm not sure I can keep him. I have other reptiles. I hear it's very contagious. Thankfully just by chance my others are upstairs while he is downstairs but that was just supposed to be temporary while they go through quarantine.
I googled. The pics look horrible. I'd hate to infect another lizard with this.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy. It can be very rough but it's treatable if caught early enough. Best thing to do is have a vet take a skin sample and test it to confirm. There are oral meds like voriconizole that have shown promise in treating it alongside topical creams and even concentrated F10SC.

Can you post some photos of him? You can post photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

In the meantime, keep the quarantine. Wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling any of them to help prevent cross contamination. I'd also disinfect everything regularly using F10SC in a higher concentration than usual. Maybe between 1:100 and 1:250 somewhere (usually I mix it at 1:250 or 1:500).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that does look suspect =(. I'd get started with some topical antifungal cream or F10SC spray right away and get a sample tested. The topical treatment along with some Voriconizole may help fight that.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to see that your beardie has suspected Y.F. Go with what Cooper mentioned [ Lamisil or other antifungal cream ] or Silvadene cream. One member here says that colloidal silver healed a fungal infection on one of his lizards.

And just be sure that any vet you take him to MUST have experience with bearded dragons and know about Y.F. If a vet prescribes antibiotics, don't get them ....that is not the right treatment for it.

Jelandusn

Original Poster
Hi all. Hokey had is appointment today. Unfortunately, I didn't get a sample to culture. To do that and everything else it would have cost $800. I just don't have that kind of money so we decided to start treatment and reevaluate in 3 weeks. The vet was pretty sure it is yellow fungus because of the lesion at the center and the fact that it is spreading. Hokey had his first dose of oral antifungal today. I forgot what it is called. He hasn't eaten today so that has me worried. Usually he eats a ton of bugs I think he maybe ate 5. Hopefully it was just the stress of going to the vet and he'll be back to normal tomorrow

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That seems like an awful lot for a skin test, but prices vary depending on where you are. Hopefully the anti fungal meds do the trick. Good luck!

Jelandusn

Original Poster
I think it was so pricey because she said she didn't feel comfortable doing the scraping without sedating him first. Its a teaching hospital so I figured it would be cheaper but I might be wrong about that. Just to walk in the door was over $100. An exam and his medicine was $300. No labs or anything.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, that's super expensive....everything that I've ever heard is that the teaching hospitals charge less. But I do think that it's definitely Y.F. The oral med. is probably Voraconazole ? If so, that's the recommended one....hopefully it will help him , along with the topical cream. Don't bathe him unless he REALLY gets dirty [ poo stains ] , bathing can spread it and then use a diluted betadine solution [ dilute with water to look like iced tea ]

How is his appetite ?

Jelandusn

Original Poster
He eats a little less than he used to. Maybe close to 3/4 of what he used to. I try to wait until after he has his breakfast before giving him his medicine because it takes a few hours for him to feel better. He takes it really well, though. I just put a couple of drops at a time on his nose and he laps it up. It is still spreading. Hopefully it'll start getting better soon.

Jelandusn

Original Poster
I also put a call in to the pet store to see if they will cover his treatment. He was sick when I got him so I figure it's the least they can do. I doubt they will but here's to hoping!

Jelandusn

Original Poster
Hi guys. Hokey has Ben on antifungal for almost a week. Things look different but I'm not sure if it's spreading or this is how it looks when getting better. What do you guys think?
91563-6626991699.jpg
91563-511523895.jpg

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I'm no expert on yellow fungus (lucky enough not to have had to deal with it myself so far) but that latest photo looks like he may be starting to shed? :?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
My computer screen is dark so I can't see any Y.F. in the first pic . Thesecond pic does look like it's going to shed, sometimes it will shed off [ yay ! ] but it can also re-appear. With beardies + other lizards a skin wound may shed at a different rate than the rest of the body. Hope that Hokey can get better + I hope he'll handle the treatment O.K. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom