Bearded dragon not pooping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my 7 month old bearded dragon is not pooping anymore, he was fine up until the last few weeks. The only times he poops is if I give him a warm bath and even then that sometimes doesn't do the trick. I dust his crickets every meal with calcium and 2 feedings a week with reptical herptivite vitamin powder. His basking spot is 105F measured with a digital thermometer. What could be wrong and is this dangerous?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Do you have a uvb light and if so what kind? Do you use a bright white basking light? Any loose substrate? Also the older they get. The less they go.

TheMailSquirrel

Original Poster
destiny1998":f6vxw328 said:
Hi. Do you have a uvb light and if so what kind? Do you use a bright white basking light? Any loose substrate? Also the older they get. The less they go.
Yea reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube and I do not use a bright whote baskong light and no loose substrate, I forgot to mention he'll spend his morning and some of the afternoon basking then the rest of the day he goes into his hide, I took his hides away to see what would happen and he crawled down a ramp I have for him and he hid from the light. Tha k you

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Thanks for answering. He definitely needs a bright white basking light. You want him to bask under the the basking light with the uvb light with it. If you are using a che for basking those are for night.

TheMailSquirrel

Original Poster
destiny1998":1kv4n7a5 said:
Thanks for answering. He definitely needs a bright white basking light. You want him to bask under the the basking light with the uvb light with it. If you are using a che for basking those are for night.
The uvb is getting to him from his basking and it's a orange ish his light

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TheMailSquirrel":1xc1l5g7 said:
destiny1998":1xc1l5g7 said:

<<< coloured basking bulbs are a not suitable , bearded dragons require nice bright COLORLESS incandescent basking bulbs or MVBs.

I recommend ditching the coloured bulb and replacing with a MVB or par38 colorless incandescent spotglobe.

Can you put up a photo of his tank. Often things jump right out as being likely causes of problems or an issue that needs to be fixed.

Also:
what is his feeding schedule ? what are you feeding him (size bugs used ? vegs ? greens ?)

Less he eats the less poo he will create, and of cause he may not be pooing because he is impacted (this can be from the food, ingesting particulate substrate accidentially, even eating something he found on the floor or when outside, or a serious internal blockage caused by health problem).

I currently have two who are fed identically , but have drastically different metabolic rates and different toileting habits see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=232446 /
..... this may just be a consequence of his metabolism and diet.

TheMailSquirrel

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3jyokxad said:
TheMailSquirrel":3jyokxad said:
destiny1998":3jyokxad said:

<<< coloured basking bulbs are a not suitable , bearded dragons require nice bright COLORLESS incandescent basking bulbs or MVBs.

I recommend ditching the coloured bulb and replacing with a MVB or par38 colorless incandescent spotglobe.

Can you put up a photo of his tank. Often things jump right out as being likely causes of problems or an issue that needs to be fixed.

Also:
what is his feeding schedule ? what are you feeding him (size bugs used ? vegs ? greens ?)

Less he eats the less poo he will create, and of cause he may not be pooing because he is impacted (this can be from the food, ingesting particulate substrate accidentially, even eating something he found on the floor or when outside, or a serious internal blockage caused by health problem).

I currently have two who are fed identically , but have drastically different metabolic rates and different toileting habits see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=232446 /
..... this may just be a consequence of his metabolism and diet.

Well he just pooped on me when i got home so i doubt he's impacted, his lights are off and I have a competition tomorrow so expect a picture around tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom