Bearded dragon not pooping

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Bearded dragon not pooping

Postby TheMailSquirrel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi, my 7 month old bearded dragon is not pooping anymore, he was fine up until the last few weeks. The only times he poops is if I give him a warm bath and even then that sometimes doesn't do the trick. I dust his crickets every meal with calcium and 2 feedings a week with reptical herptivite vitamin powder. His basking spot is 105F measured with a digital thermometer. What could be wrong and is this dangerous?
TheMailSquirrel
Newbie Poster

Re: Bearded dragon not pooping

Postby destiny1998 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi. Do you have a uvb light and if so what kind? Do you use a bright white basking light? Any loose substrate? Also the older they get. The less they go.
destiny1998
Extreme Poster

Postby TheMailSquirrel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:12 pm

destiny1998 wrote:Hi. Do you have a uvb light and if so what kind? Do you use a bright white basking light? Any loose substrate? Also the older they get. The less they go.

Yea reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube and I do not use a bright whote baskong light and no loose substrate, I forgot to mention he'll spend his morning and some of the afternoon basking then the rest of the day he goes into his hide, I took his hides away to see what would happen and he crawled down a ramp I have for him and he hid from the light. Tha k you
TheMailSquirrel
Newbie Poster

Postby destiny1998 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks for answering. He definitely needs a bright white basking light. You want him to bask under the the basking light with the uvb light with it. If you are using a che for basking those are for night.
destiny1998
Extreme Poster

Postby TheMailSquirrel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:32 am

destiny1998 wrote:Thanks for answering. He definitely needs a bright white basking light. You want him to bask under the the basking light with the uvb light with it. If you are using a che for basking those are for night.

The uvb is getting to him from his basking and it's a orange ish his light
TheMailSquirrel
Newbie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:58 am

TheMailSquirrel wrote:
destiny1998 wrote:Thanks for answering. He definitely needs a bright white basking light. You want him to bask under the the basking light with the uvb light with it. If you are using a che for basking those are for night.

<<< coloured basking bulbs are a not suitable , bearded dragons require nice bright COLORLESS incandescent basking bulbs or MVBs.

I recommend ditching the coloured bulb and replacing with a MVB or par38 colorless incandescent spotglobe.

Can you put up a photo of his tank. Often things jump right out as being likely causes of problems or an issue that needs to be fixed.

Also:
what is his feeding schedule ? what are you feeding him (size bugs used ? vegs ? greens ?)

Less he eats the less poo he will create, and of cause he may not be pooing because he is impacted (this can be from the food, ingesting particulate substrate accidentially, even eating something he found on the floor or when outside, or a serious internal blockage caused by health problem).

I currently have two who are fed identically , but have drastically different metabolic rates and different toileting habits see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=232446 /
..... this may just be a consequence of his metabolism and diet.
CBDs: Puff ( RIP 10Dec2015 (3.2 years old (aneurism)) ,Rex (RIP 16Mar2017 at 4.6 yrs old (unexplained death)) , both adopted at 6wks old..Toothless & Peppa : (5 wks old 19dec2015).
Eastern BT Skinks : George & Mildred (born Sept 2010).
Eastern Water Skinks : Lucky (wild juvenile), rescued from a cat.Taken by a SI and far too soon, 9mths with us. RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles - (rescued injured), small lizard thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016.)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby TheMailSquirrel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:31 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:
TheMailSquirrel wrote:

<<< coloured basking bulbs are a not suitable , bearded dragons require nice bright COLORLESS incandescent basking bulbs or MVBs.

I recommend ditching the coloured bulb and replacing with a MVB or par38 colorless incandescent spotglobe.

Can you put up a photo of his tank. Often things jump right out as being likely causes of problems or an issue that needs to be fixed.

Also:
what is his feeding schedule ? what are you feeding him (size bugs used ? vegs ? greens ?)

Less he eats the less poo he will create, and of cause he may not be pooing because he is impacted (this can be from the food, ingesting particulate substrate accidentially, even eating something he found on the floor or when outside, or a serious internal blockage caused by health problem).

I currently have two who are fed identically , but have drastically different metabolic rates and different toileting habits see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=232446 /
..... this may just be a consequence of his metabolism and diet.

Well he just pooped on me when i got home so i doubt he's impacted, his lights are off and I have a competition tomorrow so expect a picture around tomorrow.
TheMailSquirrel
Newbie Poster

Return to Health