uvb lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
lately my beardie has become lethargic and likes to lay on his belly and squish between things, he also skips eating sometimes.
he is 2 years old in a 55 gallon tank
i have noticed that he gets dark, his beard gets darker but not black, and he gets dark stress marks whenever his uvb and basking light are on, but whenever he is not under them (when he is out of his viv) his beard lightens and so does he, is this normal? could it be brumation? or is this a sign of illness?
background info:
10.0 T8 reptisun uvb tube (inside the tank) at 5 in from him
100 watt basking bulb
101-105 basking spot (he usually tends to gape, idk whether i should lower the temps to 95?) if so what wattage generates 95 degrees of heat
75 degrees on the cooler end

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Stephanieml1":1b4w854t said:
lately my beardie has become lethargic and likes to lay on his belly and squish between things, he also skips eating sometimes.
he is 2 years old in a 55 gallon tank <<<< too small
i have noticed that he gets dark, his beard gets darker but not black, and he gets dark stress marks whenever his uvb and basking light are on, but whenever he is not under them (when he is out of his viv) his beard lightens and so does he, is this normal? could it be brumation? or is this a sign of illness?
background info:
10.0 T8 reptisun uvb tube (inside the tank) at 5 in from him <<< How old is the tube ? older than 6 months ? if so it needs replacing most likely.
100 watt basking bulb
101-105 basking spot (he usually tends to gape, idk whether i should lower the temps to 95?) if so what wattage generates 95 degrees of heat

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
kingofnobbys":3b71a2j1 said:
Stephanieml1":3b71a2j1 said:
he is 2 years old in a 55 gallon tank <<<< too small
background info:
10.0 T8 reptisun uvb tube (inside the tank) at 5 in from him <<< How old is the tube ? older than 6 months ? if so it needs replacing most likely.
100 watt basking bulb
101-105 basking spot (he usually tends to gape, idk whether i should lower the temps to 95?) if so what wattage generates 95 degrees of heat <<<< how exactly are you measuring these temperatures, is it via a dial or strip type thermometer ?

Stephanieml1

Original Poster
I took him out today in the sun and he turned bright orange and was more active and even pooped but as soon as I put him in his viv he got dark, lethargic, and with stress marks. I test his temps with a thermometer that has a probe and also with the zoo-med repritemp scanner thermometer. The tube is new, only been using it for a week. It is about 5 inches away from him and the basking bulb is a zoo-med basking lightbulb. Lately I've seen him close his eyes while basking and almost squinting but when he was outside his eyes were wide open so I'm concerned it might be the lighting. I've also noticed that he sometimes rolls his eyes back or puffs them out even though he's just finished shedding a couple of weeks ago, are these symptoms of eye infection ? If so, can it be the tubes causing the damage

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Stephanie. Would it be possible for you to post some pics here so we can see the placement of the lights? If the UVB bulb isn't attached so that it is pointing down, it could be shining directly in his eyes when he is basking rather than shining down over his body. Follow this link and copy & past the XIMG link here. https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

Good that you're using a probe thermometer. Do you place the probe right on the basking log & then wait about 45 min before getting the final reading?

Stephanieml1

Original Poster
91584-9850030825.jpg
91584-9850030825.jpg
Thank you for replying ! I'm just concerned because I've never heard of people having issues with the reptisun tubes. He's had his eyes closed most of the time when basking and they're very low, he's slightly dehydrated because he's stopped eating his greens so I'm taking him to a vet but I want to know first whether there's something in his tank that I could fix because when he's out of his tank and in the sun he's lively and colorful. Sorry that the pics are dark but right now the sun is starting to set in so it's getting dark in my room
91584-9248259794.jpg
91584-9473802582.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for posting the pics. It does look like the UVB is mounted so that it is shining out rather than down so that is a possibility. You could try turning it off for a few days to see if he acts differently, won't do him any harm.I also wondered if you might be using a neodymium coated basking bulb. Do you happen to know the specifics of that bulb?

Does he always lay where he is in the picture? He does look tired & his eyes do not look happy. It's good that you will be taking him to a vet. Would be good if you can get a poop sample to have tested too.

Good luck.

Stephanieml1

Original Poster
I'm confused on what you mean on shining out and not in? How do I change that ?
I don't know anything about it being a neodymium bulb https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-repti-basking-reptile-spot/dp/126603?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Zoo%20Med&utm_term=&gclid=CIK_oZfPtNMCFY9afgodaqgAsA&gclsrc=aw.ds
This is the basking bulb that I am using , idk whether it's the basking bulb or the uvb bulb that are making him unhappy
He's developed dark circles under his eyes

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As Diamc was suggesting, regarding the light fixture, etc, the tube bulb does appear to be glaring. The light fixture doesn't have the light recessed into it up next to the reflective backing. That just means the UVB doesn't have any direction & will refract outward & around, bouncing off of the glass, etc, but not downward very well.
You could try getting another light fixture such as this one here:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/gecko-lighting/11442-509771/zilla-zilla-slimline-tropical-fixture-t8-uvb-reptile-light.html

It should fit most standard T8 bulbs.
Please check your basking light to be sure it doesn't have neodymium coating on it, too. It looks coated from the link but can't tell for sure. Can you look at the bulb to see?
I noticed in one of the ceramic based light fixture domes, you had a compact/coil light in it? Do you still use that particular light? If so, that is likely the culprit. I have not heard of any issues with the Reptisun 10 T8 bulbs before, but, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities. There have been issues with the T5 ones here lately by Reptisun. Do you have a UVB meter to check the light?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Stephanieml1":13paj0ss said:
I'm confused on what you mean on shining out and not in? How do I change that ? <<< It appears to a domestic fluorescent light fitting , the light from the tube shines in all directions , a simple fix is to slip a shaped reflector under the tube , this will have the effect of reflecting the light that's going backwards and to the sides down to where the beardie is.

see http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttubereflectortests.htm

a suitable reflector can be bought see http://arcadia-reptile.com/fluorescent-lamp-reflectors-t5t8/
or if you or your partner are handy , you can easily make one using some aluminium foil or stainless steel sheeting .

a reflector will effectively just about double the UVA and UVB the beardie will be exposed to cf a naked fluorescent tube.

I don't know anything about it being a neodymium bulb https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-repti-basking-reptile-spot/dp/126603?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Zoo%20Med&utm_term=&gclid=CIK_oZfPtNMCFY9afgodaqgAsA&gclsrc=aw.ds
This is the basking bulb that I am using , idk whether it's the basking bulb or the uvb bulb that are making him unhappy <<< I believe that is just another clone of
He's developed dark circles under his eyes
Neodymium basking bulbs are marketed as suitable for reptile because they also produce some UVA as well a light and heat.
This type of bulbs are a poor choice :
1) they create an artificially enhanced CRI & decreases the yellow hues in which reptiles need to see & be exposed to.
2) They are not as bright as they appear to be, especially to the reptile.
3) they die real quick and not very robust.

IMO it's very sneeky for Zoomed to sell Neodymium basking bulbs as simply basking lights that give off UVA when they are indeed still selling / repackaging Neodymium basking bulbs.

I recommend that you replace it with either a MVB or a par38 incandescent / halogen clear colorless spotty similar to http://www.lighting.philips.com.au/prof/conventional-lamps/incandescent-lamps/reflector-nr-r-par-e-a-p-pc-shape/par38

Stephanieml1

Original Poster
Thank you so much for all the help! I ordered a 100 watt mvb zoo med mvb bulb hopefully that will change his attitude in the viv ! Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So you went ahead & ordered a Zoomed Powersun MVB for him instead?
The basking light did have neodymium coating on it? I thought it looked like it did but couldn't find a description specifically saying that it did. It is frustrating that so many of these fancy reptile basking bulbs are coated.
What the neodymium does is it blocks out the yellow hues to cause the light to appear brighter, for humans! They say it is easier on the eyes. However, to reptiles who have more cones than we do & are super light sensitive, it is hard on their eyes because it disturbs the light patterns & frequencies.
It actually appears more dull to them than anything.
I hope it helps him out!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom