How long can spring fever last in females?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After my girl started her shed about 5 weeks ago she stopped eating. Since her shed she has eaten a few wax worms and 1 roach, nothing for the past week and a half. I can't get her to drink and she turns her head or runs away when I offer food. As soon as the lights been on an hour or so she goes nuts. Glass surfing and trying to clim the walls. She only stops for a short rest then goes again all day long. The weight is dropping off and I'm getting concerned now.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
For what it's worth I believe my girl is going through the same thing. She started shedding her face over a month ago and has been refusing to really eat since.

I've made a few threads to try and get answers as to what's going on with her, seen a vet, did fecal, xrays, etc, but she refuses to eat, will drink, and will only pass yellowed urates. Her xrays show no infertile eggs, not egg bound, no impaction, she's clear. Fecal showed normal amounts of parasites but was treated for pinworms anyway.

I've tried giving her a lay box, a small enclosure lay box, mixing up her food, etc. This has been going on for over a month. She will only eat maybe 1 or 2 things in 2 weeks, willingly drinks water, but is not stimulated by insect movement or greens. When she eats it's totally random, and usually only 1 or 2 bugs.

She basks all day and will sometimes hop down to do some circles or pass a urate, only to return to basking. Out of the enclosure she's super bright orange, large eyed, and very mobile, no signs of anything wrong.

I'm sorry I do not have any definitive answers for you, but she's been making me worried now for weeks, but according to everything I'm being told, she's perfectly fine. She did recently lose 4 grams, however, but nothing drastic. She was eye bulging yesterday, so may be getting ready for more shed.

I hope this helps, and I'll keep you informed when/if she gets out of it. I have a male as well, out of sight, but she knows he's there which probably doesn't help the spring fever

Dragon2016

Original Poster
My male is out of sight too, but I had the same thoughts. I'm taking her to a local breeder in the morning to see what they think. Thanks for sharing and yes let's keep updated.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Dragon2016":kxsjd0un said:
My male is out of sight too, but I had the same thoughts. I'm taking her to a local breeder in the morning to see what they think. Thanks for sharing and yes let's keep updated.

Please let me know what you hear back.
Spring fever was never thrown to me as a possibility of what she has going on, even on this forum. I happened upon a response on someone else's topic stating it may be spring fever and figure it's very likely that's what is going on, considering the lack of any other issues aside from lack of appetite, and it's spring. I'm desperate for answers and considered getting her a blood test done as well, and still might, just to rule out any issues but have been reassured to just wait it out.

Dragon2016

Original Poster
Hi, so went to the breeders today with Izzy and was basically told she's the best looking customer dragon they've seen all year. Really healthy and a good weight. Which made me quite proud I must say. Was told that it is most likely spring fever but because she's still young she's not got used to these new hormones and will probably settle down in a few months. A bit like a teenage going through puberty. Great hay! So not only do I have 3 boys but I now have a moody horny teenage girl to deal with too! Her advice was give it another two weeks and if her eating still hasn't picked up to go back for some repti care. This is like a rehydrater and also has probiotics which they loose through not eating for long periods. This will hopefully stimulate her appetite. In the mean time try to temp her with dandelion flowers and wax worms. Both these are surposed to be like candy and irresistible.
Just another thing I know you have a good vet but I wouldn't stress yourself or your dragon with a blood test if she seems fine but just hypo and not eating. Try the repticare first.
How is your lady today?

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I've tried critical care with her earlier, I may try again. I'm glad you were able to have her seen! And she does look very healthy.

Just held and snuggled with my girl earlier, took a soak then couch snuggles. She willingly ate one tiny hornworm a few days ago, and three large roaches a few days before that, so I may get some crickets and let her watch them in the keeper to see if they get her interested. Dandelions aren't springing up just yet, but I'll be harvesting them from the back yard once they do. I had tried wax worms and there's no harm in trying them again, though she seemed to have lost interest at the time.

I've been heavily considering her blood test these past two days. She's still very alert, but seems to want to nap in her basking spot a lot lately, and then have bursts of energy, and she's super active outside of the enclosure still. Hasn't been nice enough to take her outside much, been constant rain and clouds.

I'll try reptiboost again soon, but she destroyed my feeding syringes so I'll have to get more

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Izzy looks very attractive. I suppose a male beardie would find her irresistible. Best keep them away from her unless you want a clutch of fertile eggs. :wink:

Dragon2016

Original Poster
Hang in there, it's worrying I know, I'm still not done worrying either but as long a she's alert and active a good amount of time I'd hang off on the medical. Mine has eaten two roachs in two weeks.
The breeder was making comments about them not having to many good looking females around at the moment so maybe i'll hold off on another visit for awhile! ?
I think she's lush, but I'm bioist!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I had some time before work this morning so I spent it with Simon, my female.

I saw she had taken a little poo in her enclosure, likely the hornworm from days ago. I let her out of the enclosure to go running around, kept offering her a large hornworm (even tossing it around infront of her like trying to get her to "fetch"), let her stare out the patio doors like she loves to do, then created a concoction of repti-boost, arcadia dragon fuel, and water.
89300-9977944530.jpg
89300-3353083800.jpg
89300-9798234356.jpg

I administered it via syringe, she didn't fight too much, seemed to like the taste.
I then let her soak in a warm bath, her favorite.

89300-8246499365.jpg

Took her out, patted her dry, gave her kisses, and tucked her under the basking light and headed to work.
Let's hope she perks up.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
SHBailey":3dznowrk said:
Simon looks healthy, at least. And all that "high octane" food you're giving her ought to help. :)

Thanks :D I've heard so many great things about bee pollen that I'm hoping whatever amount in this dragon fuel helps do whatever, along with the other ingredients. This is her first time ever having the dragon fuel (meant as a salad sprinkle, and of course adding it to a salad does nothing if she doesn't eat it!) so hoping to see some positive results. She was very bright yellow/orange this morning and while in the bath she was hunched down to soak more of her with her tail up like a remote controlled car :lol: looking pretty alert. Took a photo but chose the face on view to upload

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, I get a kick out of the way their tail sticks up like a little exclamation mark when something surprises them. Sometimes our beardie does that in his bath, and we usually gently put his tail down in the water and try to explain to him that it needs to get wet too, especially if he's shedding on it. :wink:

Dragon2016

Original Poster
Taildrifter how is your beardie doing? Mine seems to have settled down and is eating her greens again but still only interested in a few bugs about once a week. Hasn't regain her weight loss yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom