My Bearded Dragon fell off my back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKooGuy22

I have 2 different breeds of Dragons, one Dwarf and one Central orange one. BOTH are real healthy (at least based on the poop). They're never dehydrated, never starving. I feed them crickets (with calcium powder). I feed the crickets as well so they're healthy as well.

I'm sorry to skip to the point, but today I decided to take them both out on this 75-80 degree weather. I've done this before and they never decide to jump off and run away. However, a real strong wind came by and my big girl (Central Dragon, Drogon) has deep claws so i felt her hanging on BUT the wind blew my dwarf dragon (Spryo) off.. He was on my back and i'm 5'11" .. So he must have fell 5'7".

Mind you, I'm completely worried about him. His back legs and tail are not moving. I pray and hope that he just might be hurt but not handicapped. A little bit after, I noticed he slightly moved his rear right leg. He walks with his two front legs. It hurts me to see him like this.. Please tell me he willl be alright!. Oh and no visible wounds!

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I hope he's OK. There has been a lot of dragons falling or jumping off of the shoulder. Do a search in this forum about it. I would definitely get an X-ray to make sure he's alright. It would be a good idea to get them some harnesses and a leash if you want to take them outside. Mine gets scared when crows or other birds fly over. Please update this message after you get him checked out.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Darn it, why do people insist on letting their pet beardies go onto their shoulders and backs (when walking out or standing) ?

Hope beardie is OK , and owner has learnt an IMPORTANT LESSON.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry this happened.
I would recommend getting an x-ray, just to see if anything is broken. It is possible that he just strained something in his back but didn't break anything. If he sprained something, there could be some swelling in that area, which could compress his spine affect his walking ability.
Do you have any pictures of him?
I hope he is going to be ok.

Tracie

TheKooGuy22

Original Poster
You guys gave awesome replies!

I'm sorry about replying super late. I was so worried for Spyro. He is going to be perfectly fine! When he took that fall, his bones weren't as strong as they should have been. Appearantly the calcium I had bought for him isn't exactly working as it should. The vet showed me the X-ray and I noticed the bones were visible but not so great. She said that was so because of the density of the bones. She said thank god the legs and everything else is still in contact, the only the was the he had a little crack in his spinal. It was very small. I only spent $254 for everything and I excited to hear that Spryo will make a recovery. So now I am giving 3 different meds. Pain, calcium, and i forgot the other.. They are all by mouth, and it's funny because he almost bit the vet for attempting to open his mouth. When I gave it a try. It was a success. Spryo cant climb at all. He has to be on flat surface. I have to do this for 30 Days and I don't even mind it one bit. May 18th will be a check up for my Spryo ?

Thank You for replying and giving hope. You are wonderful

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I'm glad you took him to the vet. You can always take him outside to get some sun, just not on your shoulder. I guess I'm lucky with my niece's dragon, Mystic. He has been in good health for over 2 years now, maybe because he's treated like a baby.
83443-2077814630.jpg

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Hopefully he can make a full recovery. Can you list the names of what you're giving him? I'd be curious.

What calcium powder were you using and what UVB light do you have? How long ago was it changed? I wonder why his bone density was lacking.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I too am hoping Spyro makes a full recovery.

I can only add that perhaps while Spyro's being treated for MBD that you consider a few changes to your husbandry

1) giving him something similar to CalciVet (this is formulated for birds but works just as well with lizards) , I used it for my first rescue Lucky and he thrived on it, and loved it's taste (is sweet tasting , I tasted my fingers once when I had a little spillage while filling Lucky's oral medicine syringe).
Trouble with dusted insects is it's very hit and miss and you really don't know if you are giving your lizard a consistant amount of Ca powder on every insect, by using doses governed by the lizard's weight of liquid calcium given orally by syringe you will know he is getting the calcium he needs every day.

2) I also recommend if you haven't already done so under vets instructions , moving the UVB light closer to his basking spot ( about 8 inches for a 26W UVB200, and I think about 8-10 inches for T5 10% UVB tube with reflector , more UVB for now than less will be a big help for him in helping his recovery and healing process ).

3) I also recommend bumping up the photoperiod to 16 hours for both beardies since if one is suffering early stages of MBD , then both are, if the lighting and photoperiods are the same as well as the feeding and calcium delivery.

4) no more shoulder or back surfing .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great Spyro is going to be alright, poor guy!
He is lucky that he just has a slight spinal injury. The fracture should heal right up with extra calcium & a better UVB light, too.
Keeping his basking area down low is the best option right now since he isn't able to move well.

I hope he is doing better soon.
Tracie

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
If you take them outside you should attempt to make a harness and leash. When I take both of my beardies out they are on a harness and leash. My younger beardie likes to explore and has attempted to jump off me but her harness and leash slow her down and I'm able to adjust her so she doesn't hurt her self

TheKooGuy22

Original Poster
Yea, their names are Spyro and Drogon, and I am not entirely sure how they got like this but I am sure it is either the calcium I am giving them? The vet said that I should by the calcium from the pet store in Lincoln Wood , IL.. Its a 45 minute drive from Chicago, that is my city. They say it is recommended because they have the right products for Bearded Dragons. I'm pretty sure they're right. I've been noticing that people from PetSmart or Petco don't know much. They just sell animal to you with out making sure you have the right items or any items at all.

Yes! I was thinking the samething! So the calcium they have provided helps him with lack of bone density. So I give some to Drogon as well.

They gave me 3 different medications.
One to help him poop, the second for pain, and lastly calcium. They also offered me food to help him sure as well.

The UVB I use "Intense Basking Spot" by EXOTERRA 75W. I have the basking spot about 6-7 inch away the highest spot in the tank. Which according to this box it should be around 95-97 degrees and the button should be around 85-90 Degrees. I'm pretty sure I did need another. The vet gave me a packet on how I can care better for my beardies. I read that yes, even if the bulb turns on, doesn't mean that it still gives off the same UVB for them. So yes, I'd say another bulb was needed. I also learned that crickets shouldn't be the only insects you feed them. Using other insects is good. I had already known that meal worms and horn worms are treats only. I know giving them warm baths from 15-30 mins twice a week is also good.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am not familiar with that particular UVB light, but Exoterra is a pretty decent brand. The light you are using is a MVB bulb, correct? How old is it?
It's always good to try & give some variety with insects, if possible. Sometimes it is hard to get some things. Hornworms can be used often, as can silkworms, too.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TheKooGuy22":397n4c59 said:
Yea, their names are Spyro and Drogon, and I am not entirely sure how they got like this but I am sure it is either the calcium I am giving them? The vet said that I should by the calcium from the pet store in Lincoln Wood , IL.. Its a 45 minute drive from Chicago, that is my city. They say it is recommended because they have the right products for Bearded Dragons

<<<< >PUZZLEMENT< >HEADSCRATCHING> I wonder if they mean that vet stocks liquid calcium ?

Ordinarily I would think that providing the calcium powder sold is extra fine (will pass freely through a flour sieve ==> particles are smaller than 250 micrometer and so sticks well to the bodies of feeder insects) it's OK to use.

Can you save the petrol and time and order in the stuff needed by mailorder from them ?

. I'm pretty sure they're right. I've been noticing that people from PetSmart or Petco don't know much. They just sell animal to you with out making sure you have the right items or any items at all. <<< on that I would agree - pet shops are the last place to go for good advice .

Yes! I was thinking the samething! So the calcium they have provided helps him with lack of bone density. So I give some to Drogon as well. <<< wont hurt Drogon. If giving them liquid calcium (dosed according to their weights - that should be sufficient but I'd keep dusting Drogon's bugs too so he doesn't forget the taste of the calcium on his bugs., excess calcium will be excreted (I think).

They gave me 3 different medications.
One to help him poop, the second for pain, and lastly calcium. They also offered me food to help him sure as well.

The UVB I use "Intense Basking Spot" by EXOTERRA 75W. I have the basking spot about 6-7 inch away the highest spot in the tank. Which according to this box it should be around 95-97 degrees and the button should be around 85-90 Degrees. I'm pretty sure I did need another. The vet gave me a packet on how I can care better for my beardies. I read that yes, even if the bulb turns on, doesn't mean that it still gives off the same UVB for them. So yes, I'd say another bulb was needed. I also learned that crickets shouldn't be the only insects you feed them. Using other insects is good. I had already known that meal worms and horn worms are treats only. I know giving them warm baths from 15-30 mins twice a week is also good.

Silkworms will , in my experience help with the pooing , all my gang do more poos when they are getting some silkworms each day , or when young and I give silkworms in leu of crickets for one of their live feedings. I think mulberry leaf (and chow) eaten by the worms has a mild laxative action on the lizards who eat the worms.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
The reason they have Metabolic Bone Disease is because you don't a UVB light. The "Intense Basking Spot" bulb is a heat lamp ONLY. I highly suggest reading this over: https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/newbies-guide-lighting-help/

Bearded Dragons need two lights, one heat and one UVB. SOME bulbs (Mercury Vapor Bulbs) produce both but your light is only a heat lamp, so it produces no UVB. UVB mimics radiation from the sun and allows dragons to make D3, which they need to absorb their calcium. Without UVB, you can feed them as much calcium as you want and their bodies won't absorb it, which is what happened here. UVB lights should be long strip lights like: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/24-ho-t5-double-bulb-fixture-with-arcadia-12-and-6-5k-day-light-bulbs-included/

These bulbs need to be replaced approximately every year as UVB output goes down. Even if the bulb is still working, it may not be producing UVB.

Do you have any way to measure temperatures? You'll want a thermometer with a probe or an infrared temperature gun to make sure their basking spots and tanks are indeed the correct temperature.

Just curious, what substrate do you use? Meaning, what is on the bottom of your tank? Do they have problems pooping? It would be best to fix the reason they have problems instead of giving medication if not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom