when is too young to separate siblings M & F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
You're quite a statistician! But I'd hate to see what a graph of our beardie's pooping frequency would look like. He's all over the map, maybe even worse than Peppa.

I guess they're not too different from humans -- each has their own unique metabolism. My husband complains that food "goes right through him" but I tell him that he's lucky because everything I eat turns to fat. Then he says that if that were true, I'd never have to go to the bathroom. Ok -- if you want to get really technical about it, half of it turns to fat and the other half turns to fertilizer, but the bottom line is very little of it turns to energy. :( My husband, on the other hand, is one of those high energy people who can't sit still, but I have no problem being a couch potato. Human versions of Peppa and Toothless maybe, huh? :roll:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Been 13 days since Peppa pooed, Toothless has gone to loo 3x since (every 4th day since Peppa's last) , been cutting back on the solids (crickets and superworms) and giving her 0.3ml of olive oil and 1/2 ml of water orally by syringe every second day for the last week.

Today Toothless pooed again . So ....I decided to draw a line and broke out the big guns, asked my wife to bring home a small bottle of prune juice .... no luck there as she couldn't see prune juice anywhere in the supermarket.
So I got out the old plastic flat bottomed baby bath and put enough luke warm water (34degC) in it to come up to her body fringe and gave Peppa her very first bath since we adopted her.

She seemed to enjoy it's warmth , pancaking, and having warm water splashed over her back, and was soon wading about and scratching her back and sides with her legs, and splashing about (while I was lifting the end nearest her head to ensure she didn't breath in any water , a bit of a tummy rub and a 10min bath and out came the plug of urates followed by quite a lot of smelly browny green poo ....

Hurrah!!! we have a Peppa poo.

She's been very much more active on the floor after she was given a daddy snuggle wrapped in a towel to dry and warm up and I bet she feels a lot better to have gotten rid of her motherload.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sure she feels much better now! Sounds like you have a bath lover too =). Darwin also likes his baths although I limit them to when he is stinky and needs a cleaning.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Now you know that whenever Peppa gets constipated, you don't have to worry about whether or not you can get prune juice at the store -- a warm bath and a belly rub might do the trick, and she enjoys it too. :D

When I asked our reptile vet how long our beardie should go without a poop before we get concerned, she said around two weeks, especially if we don't at least see some urate, but Puff almost never does urate without a poop to go with it -- it seems to be a "package deal".

They did an enema once, even though I hated the idea, and I'm sure no one else involved enjoyed it either. The vet brought the results out on a paper towel to show me and it looked like a normal poop to me, so I asked her if she had any idea what had been plugging up the pipes, and she said the only thing they found was that he was a little dehydrated, so they gave him some subcutaneous fluids. Luckily the vet knew what she was doing and the beardie was ok, because I understand enemas can be dangerous, and just like Peppa, when I brought him home and put him back in his tank, he was bouncing off the walls, even went over to the corner where his veggies were supposed to be (it was early in the morning and I hadn't made his daily salad yet), and stood there and gave me "The Look", but then after I got all excited and made him a salad, thinking maybe he actually wanted to eat some, he took a disinterested look at it and then ran back up to his basking platform like, "Oh, I wasn't going to eat it. I just needed to let you know you hadn't done your job." :roll:

The vet's office called me a little later to ask how he was doing, and I wanted to tease them a little: "Are you sure no one spilled their coffee in those subcutaneous fluids?" But I have to suppose that even though it must have been traumatic for the beardie, he must have felt better to be rid of the load after it was all over.

We have made a few tentative appointments for similar reasons since then, but have been able to cancel them -- "Never mind. We got a poop." I think his record is somewhere around 3 weeks. Just one more way to worry the human slaves. :wink:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":3igeuyyz said:
Now you know that whenever Peppa gets constipated, you don't have to worry about whether or not you can get prune juice at the store -- a warm bath and a belly rub might do the trick, and she enjoys it too. :D

When I asked our reptile vet how long our beardie should go without a poop before we get concerned, she said around two weeks, especially if we don't at least see some urate, but Puff almost never does urate without a poop to go with it -- it seems to be a "package deal".

They did an enema once, even though I hated the idea, and I'm sure no one else involved enjoyed it either. The vet brought the results out on a paper towel to show me and it looked like a normal poop to me, so I asked her if she had any idea what had been plugging up the pipes, and she said the only thing they found was that he was a little dehydrated, so they gave him some subcutaneous fluids. Luckily the vet knew what she was doing and the beardie was ok, because I understand enemas can be dangerous, ....
sure can , I have a friend who took her girl to the vet (the same one who is about 5 minutes drive from here) and he pressed the food out of her tummy, and gave her an enema , and then pumped her stomach full of water , RESULT her beardie who was alive active and alert but BBing that morning , was sent home in a very bad way, limp and very dark (cold) and soon developed breathing issues and was dead within 2 hours of the procedure.... I'll never trust a vet to do that to any of my pet lizards (esp that vet .... say's he's an expert and worked in zoos but he's obviously incompetent).

I drew a line at 13 days as that's the longest any of my beardies has ever gone without pooing, and Peppa's record too (see her stats above) and I wasn't prepared to let her go longer.... and yes I did consider asking another vet to look at her and perhaps take some xrays.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Now that I know how dangerous it can be, I probably won't let them do that again either. I guess we got lucky just that once -- our beardie didn't seem any worse for the experience. But except perhaps under the most dire circumstances, I'd always want to go for kinder gentler measures if at all possible, as well as X-rays to see if they can see any obstructions.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Update

Peppa is now 610g. (Pooed away a bit of weight on Friday)
She's also
STT = 53cm
STV = 22.5cm

Toothless is now 473g .( Pooed a few days ago).
He's also
STT = 44cm
STV = 19.5cm

Seems mommy has found a variety of choy that both like , they're both back into their greens ....hurrah !!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Update :

Peppa has gained 25g this week , now 651g, BUT SHE IS SAVING HER POO UP this week, so got a dose of olive oil yesterday and today, if no poo today I've threatened to give her a bath tomorrow.

Toothless has gained 10g this week , now 486g , he's been a good boy and delivered a poo a few days ago. ( note corrected weight in blue)

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I think maybe you should just cave in and give Peppa a warm bath as soon as possible, especially since she seems to like it so much. She'll probably gift you with around 25 grams of nice poo. :wink:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":35k7n498 said:
I think maybe you should just cave in and give Peppa a warm bath as soon as possible, especially since she seems to like it so much. She'll probably gift you with around 25 grams of nice poo. :wink:

I'd be happy to get a 15g poo from her tomorrow... that will bring her into line with Toothless' growth this week.

Either way, she's already bigger than Puff and Rex were, and she's still got 6 months of growth in her. (Mind you she started off 13.5 at 5 weeks old , where Puff was 8g , and Rex was 7g at 6 weeks old so he had a bit of head start on them).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Followed through and gave Peppa a nice tummy rub then a long bath (33degC) and more tummy rubs, no poo in baby bath, so gave her gave more olive oil (0.5ml) to move things along.

While she was being dried up went the tail and bum and she was nice enough to hold on til I slipped some paper towel under her business end before delivering a whopper of a poo with plenty of urates and nice greeny brown lumpy moist poos .....
giphy.gif

Very pleased ....I gave her a couple of yummy superworms as a treat afterwards ... :)

Still going to add pumpkin puree in a babyfood, prune juice and pure apple sauce to my lizard "first aid" kit so I have something other than olive oil to give when my lizards are going too long ( more than 7 days) between poos.

Got no idea how much she pooed away, but it had to close to 20g ...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2b38jqoe said:
We are strange folks, putting so much focus on (and then excitement from) a lizard's poops. =)

curious internet surfers will think we all have a weird poo fetish I expect .... LOL

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It is kind of funny how excited we beardie slaves can get about a poop. But I'm glad to hear that everything "came out okay" (sorry -- bad pun). :roll:

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
If I am ever feeling down, I just need to come to this site and read...you guys make me happy LOL!

Yes, poo is exciting when it's coming out right! (in beardies...and small humans too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom