Need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJones

91809-5061805733.jpg
91809-5588591476.jpg
91809-6769021964.jpg
My beardie is around three years old his name is Tony gets fed new greens every day always has fresh water and gets bathed every 2-3 days he will sometimes skip eating for a few weeks and he rarely poops he has done this for a long time I just discovered this site and really want him to be healthy and I know that isn't right any advice?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! Tony looks quite healthy in those photos. What kind of veges do you feed him? It's unusual for them to go weeks without eating at all. An adult will usually at least pick at salads every day and enjoy bugs a couple of times per week.

What do you have set up for his enclosure? Can you provide details about his lights and temperatures? I'll be glad to walk through your setup and make sure everything is just right for him if you wish.

MJones

Original Poster
Greens such as mustards and collards are his daily I occasionally feed him carrots and I try to feed him crickets at least once a week but I usually have to hand feed him those because he won't "hunt" them. I am not sure what the heat bulb is or the uvb but I just read that I need a tube uvb bulb is that correct? Because if so I will get that ASAP . He has a rock that he can hide in or lay on and a branch to bask on a large water bowl in case he wants to soak in that at all and a food bowl and a reptile carpet that I plan on trying to change to something a bit better and easier to clean if you have any advice on that it would be much appreciated also.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
He has the same build as my boy Toothless and he's real livewire and very energetic and inquisitive.

How big is his tank L x W x H ?

Tank daytime temperatures in warm and cool zone and at basking spot ?
How are measuring these ?

How old is the current UVB light ?
Is it sitting ontop a mesh top ? (BAD)
What is it's UVB rating ?
How far from beardie's basking spot is It ?

How are the lights on each day ?

Photos of it or description of it's construction.

Temps and how are you measuring them ?

For a full size adult beardie's tank (about 4ft L x 2ft W x 2ft tall) I recommend the following lighting:
>>>> basking globe = 80W - 100W MVB or par38 clear colorless incandescent / halogen style spotty
>>>> UVB , a 24W t5 UVB tube rated at least 10%UVB with a reflector behind it mounted about 8-10" from beardie's basking spot.
substrate:
>>>> loose laid ceramic floor tiles , or slate tiles are very good and ultra easy to clean simply by lifting out the soiled tile and giving it a blast with the hose.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Mustard and collards are very good staple greens. I'd keep the carrot to occasional offering. Try chopping up some squash or some green beans. Those are popular with my guys when added to a salad. There are more ideas on this list which may be helpful http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

The basking light isn't super important as long as it's providing the proper temperature gradient. Do you have a good thermometer to get accurate readings? You want it to be between about 100-110 in the basking area and about 75-80 on the cool side. Using a digital thermometer with a probe (one for each side) is helpful https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/ you could also use an IR temp gun to spot check temps https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK

The UVB light is critical. The light you use depends on the distance between it and the basking area as they all have different ranges. How tall is your tank? I use this and it's a fantastic light http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/. It has an optimal output at about 12'' below the bulb.

MJones

Original Poster
It has been too cold in my poor little guys tank! I feel so bad the thermometer broke and I didn't realize it I put another one in there and it was only 87°f on the basking side!! I'm fixing that right away I can give measurements of the tank soon. I feel like such a bad mom for not realizing the bulb wasn't getting hot enough.

MJones

Original Poster
Just an update, Tony has been eating and running around and seems much happier now that the heat issue is fixed thank you guys for the help I really appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom