Lazy or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordecai

Juvie Member
I have had Mordecai for over a year. He is 16mo old. He has never been really active but lately even less. He wants to hide all the time ans not really bask. Doesn't eat much unless I feed it to him. He was steady in his weight until this last time I weighed him he lost 21g over about a 2week period. I take him out of his hide and place him on his basking log and he will stay exactly how I place him and won't move for hrs or he will go right back to his hide. It is spring still cool and very rainy. He has a 90g tank new reptisun t5 100wt basking white light. Temps 95 to 105 in basking spot high 80s to low 90s around it and low to mid 70s on cool side. Gets could at night so I use a chi to keep Temps above 65. He has not pooped in about 2 weeks. Last one was normal with lots of extra water ( he loves horn worms) is this normal behavior?

KatieDid09

Hello, im having similar problems with my beardie of about the same age. He has to be coaxed out to eat worms and wont eat his greens unless i hand feed him where he is. My temps are correct as well, and i have new bulbs... i have a separate post im waiting for replies on. Ill let you know if i fimd out anything.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How far is the Reptisun 10 T5 HO bulb from your dragon? When did you purchase it?
There have been reports of these lights not emitting near enough UVB. Zoomed is working on fixing the problem so hopefully it will be fixed soon. You may have bought one of them.
I would consider contacting Zoomed about it. I had heard they were offering an exchange or possibly a refund.
Can you somehow get hold of a UVB meter to measure the light?
How long has your dragon been acting lazy?
If he is losing weight, maybe you should get a fecal done to be sure he doesn't worms or parasites.

Tracie

Mordecai

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The 10 t5 is 12in from basking spot. I just got it on the 7th of April but he has been like this for months but haven't lost any weight till recently. I will see about getting a meter and contacting zoomed. Thanks

joef

Hatchling Member
There's a chance that he might have parasites. Take a poo sample to the vet and they would be able to tell you, but if he is loosing weight that fast, then it might be parasites.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
We got a ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 T5 linear tube and hood in early January this year. When it was new the output measured 240 mW/cm2 on the Solarmeter 6.2 at the basking site about 10 inches from the lamp. After "burn in" and daily use 12 hours on per day, it measured around 140 mW/cm2 earlier this month.

Does this sound adequate or did I possibly get one of the bad ones? This is the first time that I have heard that there was any problem with the T5s, and since this was about double what I was getting from the T8s, I figured it was good. I have two more of them on order, plus another hood, so I hope there won't be a problem. My beardie just had a checkup at the vet's, including blood tests, and they say his calcium levels are good (and most of his other blood work as well, except for his white blood count, which tends to be a little off, probably because he's ADV positive).

The only thing I've noticed (already discussed in another thread) is that the lamp tends to flash once or twice a few moments after it has been turned off, but my husband (an electronics wiz who once had a job that involved maintaining fluorescent lighting, among other things) says it's not unusual for this type of lamp to do that, although I never noticed anything like that with the T8s.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SHBailey":1qj186da said:
We got a ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 T5 linear tube and hood in early January this year. When it was new the output measured 240 mW/cm2 on the Solarmeter 6.2 at the basking site about 10 inches from the lamp. After "burn in" and daily use 12 hours on per day, it measured around 140 mW/cm2 earlier this month.

Does this sound adequate or did I possibly get one of the bad ones? This is the first time that I have heard that there was any problem with the T5s, and since this was about double what I was getting from the T8s, I figured it was good. I have two more of them on order, plus another hood, so I hope there won't be a problem. My beardie just had a checkup at the vet's, including blood tests, and they say his calcium levels are good (and most of his other blood work as well, except for his white blood count, which tends to be a little off, probably because he's ADV positive).

The only thing I've noticed (already discussed in another thread) is that the lamp tends to flash once or twice a few moments after it has been turned off, but my husband (an electronics wiz who once had a job that involved maintaining fluorescent lighting, among other things) says it's not unusual for this type of lamp to do that, although I never noticed anything like that with the T8s. <<< that is starter issue .... I'd replace it and see if the startup flickering goes away https://www.familyhandyman.com/electrical/fluorescent-light/fluorescent-light-repair/view-all...

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Thanks for the link. But oddly enough, the lamp has no problem powering up. It doesn't flicker when we turn it on. It only flashes once or twice a little while after it has been turned off, and seems to work fine otherwise.

We have another ZooMed hood on order along with two more tubes so we can have some spares for backup in case the one we have goes down, but I also plan to use them for comparison. We were using the T8s up until the beginning of this year, and I had noticed that there was quite a bit of variation in the UVB output of different tubes even brand new out of the box, so I'm not sure if our first T5 has been a good representative sample of what we can expect from the T5s in general. It will be interesting to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom