Beardie has dry blood on lips please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no clue how to post pictures( even though I have in the past ) but my bearded dragon, dexter, seems to have dry blood on his lips. I think it's from hitting his face on the glass when he wants attention, but I never see any actual wounds. Someone please help :( I'm worried it may be rot mouth or something more serious

suddensnoozing

Original Poster
Thank you for the help! Here is the picture
82963-763900523.jpg
I hope it's clear! It seems to have gone away now but it's done this from time to time where it's there at one point and gone the next day

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Perhaps he just bumped or scraped his nose a bit. If that's the case it should heal without a problem. Are you able to get a look in his mouth at his gums?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It looks like he may have just banged up his mouth some by repeatedly bashing himself up against the glass.
You can get some raw unpasteurized honey or manuka honey to put on that area to help in case there might be infection. It is safe to use in the mouth & on the gums.

Tracie

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
How big is his tank? Mine has a 40 gal breeder by he still likes to spend a decent amount of time out otherwise he will get cranky and climb the walls. The organic health food honey is a good idea.

suddensnoozing

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1oq4lrso said:
Perhaps he just bumped or scraped his nose a bit. If that's the case it should heal without a problem. Are you able to get a look in his mouth at his gums?

I'm not sure how to get his mouth open to look at it. It goes away every so often and comes back later

suddensnoozing

Original Poster
Glamamama":1tzhrkq0 said:
How big is his tank? Mine has a 40 gal breeder by he still likes to spend a decent amount of time out otherwise he will get cranky and climb the walls. The organic health food honey is a good idea.

His tank is a 40 gal breeder as well but he gets out pretty often. I will try the honey!

suddensnoozing

Original Poster
Drache613":2e9qmrm4 said:
Hello,

It looks like he may have just banged up his mouth some by repeatedly bashing himself up against the glass.
You can get some raw unpasteurized honey or manuka honey to put on that area to help in case there might be infection. It is safe to use in the mouth & on the gums.

Tracie

I just came home to dexter having a very dark colour everywhere except for half of his head please tell me he's just peeling. His front half of his head is a dull colour with no markings at all it's very bizarre.
82963-3536757310.jpg

suddensnoozing

Original Poster
CooperDragon":19kmzncb said:
Here is another picture of his skin
82963-6192984497.jpg

He's also acting slightly weird and sleeping very often

suddensnoozing

Original Poster
CooperDragon":grpd1kr8 said:

This is as much as I could get him to open his mouth without feeling too bad about pinching his poor little face.
82963-1472283202.jpg
I'm not sure how well the colour shows up but his tongue has some weird colours that I'm not sure if they are normal or not. He has some yellow orange and blackish colours on his tongue. Couldn't see much of his gums. I'm not sure if this is relevant but he does have his mouth very very slightly open most of the time. Like very slightly and a lot of the time the tip of his tongue is sticking out too, again, very slightly. I saw that might be a sign of mbd but he doesn't seem to have any symptoms. I'll try to get a picture next time I catch him with his tongue out. Also it's not like he can't or doesn't ever close his mouth all the way. Sometimes I'll pet him when I catch him with his mouth like that because I worry about him a lot and it didn't happen with my previous dragons. When I pet him he'll close his mouth.

suddensnoozing

Original Poster
I know I have posted way too many times now, but he took a nap and when I woke him up to put him back in his cage he changed colours. He's all normal colour now. And so I took a picture
82963-9463236867.jpg
after being awake for only half a minute his colour changed again to that dark colour all except the top half of his head again please this is so weird I know bearded change colours sometimes depending on the situation but never like this. Please please help I'm so worried

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Glamamama":2gpfu8t2 said:

I'm not surprised he climbs the walls and gets cranky .... it is very cramped inside his tiny tank for a full grown adult beardie.

Standard tank size here (Australia) for a SINGLE ADULT CENTRAL BEARDED DRAGON is
4ft LONG x 2ft WIDE x 2ft TALL = 453 LITRES VOLUME = 120 GALLONS.
If 1ft 6" tall the volume = 340 LITRES = 90 gallons.

40 GALLONS = 120 LITRES is VERY SMALL for an adult beardie.( I use 100 LITRE tubs for my rearing tubs.) An adult beardie will be very cramped and hardly able even to turn around in such a tiny tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom