Handling my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Togi92

Hi there

I just got my beardie yesterday and he is currently 5-6 months old. In the store the guy said he was the friendliest they had and that was true. He's settled right into his viv and eating already, he even let me hand feed him yesterday once.

But my question is how long until I can start handling the little guy? I don't want to stress him out.

(Apologies if this is in the wrong place)

Mysty

Juvie Member
Start by popping your hand in the viv and see if he's ok with that. Next you can gently run a finger along his head or back.

When doing this place your hand at his level so he can see you. Sudden petting from above can be scary as beardies could interpret you as an aerial predator.

A little hand feeding of greens is good at this point.

Visibly fast breathing, running off and hiding are signs he doesn't want handling so leave him be until the next day.

If all the above are going well you can place your hand under his front legs and see if he's willing to climb up or be scooped into your hand. Be sure to support his back legs and tail as soon as possible and keep handling sessions short to begin with.

Also try to handle as close to the floor as possible in case he jumps.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Mysty":38pisa9l said:
Start by popping your hand in the viv and see if he's ok with that. Next you can gently run a finger along his head or back.

When doing this place your hand at his level so he can see you. Sudden petting from above can be scary as beardies could interpret you as an aerial predator.

Visibly fast breathing, running off and hiding are signs he doesn't want handling so leave him be until the next day.

If all the above are going well you can place your hand under his front legs and see if he's willing to climb up or be scooped into your hand. Be sure to support his back legs and tail as soon as possible and keep handling sessions short to begin with.

I'll add :

if you can include handfeeding some treats to him beardie when you get him out for snuggles , this will help reinforce the bond and will help him learn to associate being handled by you with positive nice experiences.

A sure sign beardie is enjoying the experience is showing his colours very brightly ==> one happy beardie.

Soon you'll have beardie who enjoys snuggles so much he wont want to go back into his tank , and will show this to you buy trying to turn around and climb / crawl back onto you.

joef

Hatchling Member
kingofnobbys":15knh9bi said:
Mysty":15knh9bi said:

I'll add :

if you can include handfeeding some treats to him beardie when you get him out for snuggles , this will help reinforce the bond and will help him learn to associate being handled by you with positive nice experiences.

A sure sign beardie is enjoying the experience is showing his colours very brightly ==> one happy beardie.

Soon you'll have beardie who enjoys snuggles so much he wont want to go back into his tank , and will show this to you buy trying to turn around and climb / crawl back onto you.

It totally depends on the beardie, some of them, you need to do these things the other guys said, but some beardies are different. When I first got Darwin, I had him out playing with him before I even got home from the pet store, the same with the 2 that my friend got. When I had Darwin out right after getting him, he didn't have any problems with it, he was happy. So it depends on the beardie, but yes, if it runs, then leave it, try to hand feed it, or even just let it be for a few days.

Boosted

I just got mine. They are young. Don't know how old. But one is ok with me holding but ever since the first day I got them the other seems to hate when I try to hold it. So I'm gonna stop trying and hope it gets better. The bigger of the two doesn't wanna be held anymore
91815-988177397.jpg
91815-6791972588.jpg

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Boosted":b76ap5ei said:
I just got mine. They are young. Don't know how old. But one is ok with me holding but ever since the first day I got them the other seems to hate when I try to hold it. So I'm gonna stop trying and hope it gets better. The bigger of the two doesn't wanna be held anymore
91815-988177397.jpg
91815-6791972588.jpg

You should separate them as soon as possible. The bigger one may hurt the smaller one. They will be happier and healthier and safer if they each have their own enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom