Thermostat or Rheostat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to invest in a thermostat/rheostat (not sure if there's a difference in what each entails?) but I wanted to know if there's limitation on what they can control. Can I use one to control a basking lamp? Under the tank heating pad (extending the question for my boa's enclosure here). I'm wondering because I don't imagine a thermostat would be able to control the heat output of a basking lamp but I might be wrong.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Thermostats automatically control heat (like it you set it to 110º in the basking spot, it will keep it to 110º at all times. Rheostat is just a dimmer, so it you want it at 110º, you'll have to adjust the slider until you get to 110º. I got my rheostat on Amazon for about $10, and it works great! I'm pretty sure thermostats would work on a heat pad, as well as the rheostat.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
As jess mentions the big difference is what they do.

A rheostat controls voltage to a device, you can dim a lamp or a heat mat by limiting the power to it. A rheostat can't control temps if they get too hot for whatever reason, like the AC goes it, it just lets you adjust them.

A thermostat has a feedback system with a temperature sensor that works with a rheostat or similar component (dimming thermostat) or a switch (on/off thermostat). A stat can control temperatures to within a few degrees of a set point.

Rheostats are about $10, on/off thermostats about $30, dimming stats about $100

A dimming stat is fine for a lamp but a in/off would cause flashing if it hits the trigger temp.

pierceofthereptiles

Original Poster
So starting off (on a budget), a rheostat should be decent coupled with an accurate thermometer in the area of the lamp and regular monitoring of the basking area temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom