A new home for squishy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelique

Las month we took in a beardie who had been neglected and burned. He is super sweet and has gained a lot of weight sense he came to my home. I have no experience with bearded dragons. I had a 55 gallon tank and do have several small lizzards. I am wondering if I am taking care of him properly. He has had a hard life and don't want to add to it. I have uvb and uva lights for him but he doesn't care for much of anything that I try to feed him.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm so glad you're able to give him a good home. It looks like he's doing really well under your care =). Taking in a dragon in need of a good home is very rewarding.

Angelique

Original Poster
I have completely fallen in love with him and want to give him a good home. I worry about Everything I do for him or with him because I honestly don't know what I am doing.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Angelique":388k8jem said:
I have completely fallen in love with him and want to give him a good home. I worry about Everything I do for him or with him because I honestly don't know what I am doing.
Welcome to the wonderful world of bearded dragons a land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles and, worry! A magical realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon?, guess again..... Like it or not, you are now a slave, lol!
Looks quite happy to me! What have been trying to feed him? They can be very picky eaters, lol!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My guy likes chopped up green beans and green/yellow squash chopped into little worm shapes mixed in with his greens as well. His favorite greens are collards and turnip greens with occasional mustard green if he's in the mood or dandelion greens if they're in season and stocked at the store. He also likes green bell peppers.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Do you have any idea how old he is? If he's more than a year old he needs more veggies, but if he's younger than that he still needs bugs for the protein so he can grow. Dubia roaches are good if you can get them, and easier to deal with than crickets, also phoenix worms and silk worms, as well as all the veggies that have already been mentioned. http://www.beautifuldragons.com has a really good list of the best foods for them -- you can print it off and take it to the grocery store.

They're all unique and they all have their own individual tastes when it comes to food.

AngeliqueG

I have no idea how old he is or even if he is a he lol. Not sure how to tell. He is very picky so I just interduce things every few days until I can figure out what he likes. The list was very helpful. Thank you

LimsKragma

Congrats for rescuing the poor dragon :D .
Just one note, don't feed spinach as it binds calcium and won't do him any good.

Angelique

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for all the great advice and help. I truly appreciate it. I gave him cut up green beans for the first time last night with his dandalian greens. He loved them . He enjoyed an earthworm and his green beans and was out for the night.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
You're lucky your beardie likes veggies and greens. That will make it easier to keep him healthy. :D Earthworms also contain a lot of moisture so they're good for hydration if he's not into drinking water. (Too bad our beardie gave up on them a long time ago :( )

BTW, "Squishy" is a nice gender-neutral name, so if you ever find out that "he" is a "she", you won't have to change his/her name. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom