Need help with best setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETAonTime

So I've ordered this new viv for my bearded dragon. https://www.diycages.com/products/new-48x24x24-cf-pvc-front-sliding-display-cage it's coming in tomorrow. It's an assembly required product. My question is...it gives a little flexibility with where to set up the light fixtures. It has a basking light fixture and a 24 inch tube light fixture. Can someone tell me what would be the best setup? How far apart for the two lights? Should they be further back? In the middle? In the front? Any help is appreciated. thank you!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
PVC cages are a bad idea, you need to ensure your basking lamp and it's ceramic socket and any CHE and it's ceramic socket are NOT IN DIRECT CONTACT with the PVC but a very well insulated from it and far enough away from the PVC surfaces to ensure no PVC heat softening or even worse charring occurs of the PVC.
The ceramic fittings can easily become hot enough when powering a high wattage basking globe , MVB or a CHE to char any wooden surfaces they are in direct contact with over as little as an hour or less. This is why insulation is sold to separate the fitting from the timber it's attached to.

Charring PVC gives off a mixture of gases, including hydrogen chloride and chlorine.

The presence of hydrogen chloride in charring gas emissions are very damaging, they cause damage to the lungs (even more so when they accumulate and become much more concentrated in a confined space (such as a lizard's enclosure).
Also likely charring will produce carbon monoxide who's concentration will accumulate where the beardie will be (denser than air) , as will any chlorine gas produced in the charring process.

Personally, I'd never contemplate using a tank made from either PVC or fibre glass for these reasons.
... fire risk
... toxic gas generation risk when overheated

Also because of PVC’s heavy chlorine content, dioxins are released during the manufacturing, and outgassed over time , and when charring and burning. Exposure to dioxins can cause reproductive, developmental, and other health problems, and dioxin is classified as a carcinogen.

Don't believe the shop or manufacture wrt their claims that these tanks are suitable and safe to use as beardie enclosures because they are not safe or suitable and they want to sell you their product.

I don't think there is an safe / suitable set up that wont require modifications of the tank. I recommend leaving it in the box and returning it to exchange for a timber flatpack enclosure with sliding front glass doors (NOT WITH A mesh or screen top - these are hopeless).

ETAonTime

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2lo8zcci said:
PVC cages are a bad idea, you need to ensure your basking lamp and it's ceramic socket and any CHE and it's ceramic socket are NOT IN DIRECT CONTACT with the PVC but a very well insulated from it and far enough away from the PVC surfaces to ensure no PVC heat softening or even worse charring occurs of the PVC.
The ceramic fittings can easily become hot enough when powering a high wattage basking globe , MVB or a CHE to char any wooden surfaces they are in direct contact with over as little as an hour or less. This is why insulation is sold to separate the fitting from the timber it's attached to.

Charring PVC gives off a mixture of gases, including hydrogen chloride and chlorine.

The presence of hydrogen chloride in charring gas emissions are very damaging, they cause damage to the lungs (even more so when they accumulate and become much more concentrated in a confined space (such as a lizard's enclosure).
Also likely charring will produce carbon monoxide who's concentration will accumulate where the beardie will be (denser than air) , as will any chlorine gas produced in the charring process.

Personally, I'd never contemplate using a tank made from either PVC or fibre glass for these reasons.
... fire risk
... toxic gas generation risk when overheated

Also because of PVC’s heavy chlorine content, dioxins are released during the manufacturing, and outgassed over time , and when charring and burning. Exposure to dioxins can cause reproductive, developmental, and other health problems, and dioxin is classified as a carcinogen.

Don't believe the shop or manufacture wrt their claims that these tanks are suitable and safe to use as beardie enclosures because they are not safe or suitable and they want to sell you their product.

I don't think there is an safe / suitable set up that wont require modifications of the tank. I recommend leaving it in the box and returning it to exchange for a timber flatpack enclosure with sliding front glass doors (NOT WITH A mesh or screen top - these are hopeless).

What if I were to get a piece of wood like ipe or cumaru that is very fire/heat resistant and screw that into the top between he basking light fixture and the ceiling of the enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom