Previous owner didn't have UVB for Mr. Spock

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
He looks pretty good, and it sounds like he's doing well. Pooping and then stepping in the veggies on the way up to the next available thing to climb on is definitely very normal beardie behavior. :mrgreen:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just a little tip, often if you cripple the crickets a bit so they are slow moving , beardies are more likely to eat them.

Beardoman

Original Poster
He's just so calm it's kind of annoying. I'm giving him a bath and he just stays exactly where I set him. I push him around the tub like a toy and he just sits there. He's like a statue, *if I don't move he won't see me* lol.

No, no shaking or tremors but I have seen his digits twitch once or twice. His basking spot has been at 90* but today I read it should be hotter so I turned on his other lamp so it's now at 102* and he seems to like that more. The cool side is 73* measured with a good temp gun.

The tank is 35" long, 12" wide, 20" deep. I don't know gallon size but according google cubic inches to gallon converter I've got a 35 gallon tank.

Now that the bath water temp dropped to 83 he seems to be enjoying it.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
SHBailey":27i7sqb7 said:
He looks pretty good, and it sounds like he's doing well. Pooping and then stepping in the veggies on the way up to the next available thing to climb on is definitely very normal beardie behavior. :mrgreen:
I honestly think they do it to see our reaction to the impending mess, lol! Work for it slave :D , work for it :twisted: !

Beardoman

Original Poster
Check out the one eye open pic. This is how he is around me, always watching me, on guard. Like I'm out to get him the minute he isn't watching.
91342-2841854901.jpg

Sleeping on me already. Rarely both eyes closed though.
91342-8021522099.jpg

Bath time.
91342-2014330430.jpg

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
No emotions, huh? You think maybe he's living up to his name? :wink:

And BTW, watching everything like a hawk and sleeping with one eye open also seem to be very normal bearded dragon behaviors, even when they're in familiar surroundings and even long after they would be expected to have learned to trust their human slaves. I think it's probably just the way they're "wired". :?

Also, you might want to start shopping for a larger tank for him. The one you describe sounds a little small. If all goes well, he'll outgrow it soon if he hasn't already.

Beardoman

Original Poster
That's funny, I didn't think about that! Perhaps that is why the previous 'slave' named him that. Haha.

Yes I plan on making him a bigger tank soon, he does look a bit cramped in there...

Beardoman

Original Poster
91342-9467998757.jpg

Got the lamp in yesterday, and what a beautiful day outside!

He's still pretty lazy and doesn't do much. How long do you think before he's active again? As much love people seem to have for bearded on here I am not really impressed with far. He's pretty indifferent to everything and anything.

I think he just needs a vacation.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Don't let his apparent indifference fool you. The extra light will only do him good, even if the results aren't apparently obvious right away. Some beardies are more active than others, but there are many that just lay around and bask for most of their day. Ours is pretty "spockish" too, a lot like yours (except during the bearded dragon "pon farr" :wink: -- you'll probably find out about that sooner or later).

We had a nice run of beautiful sunny days for the last couple of weeks here in Anchorage, but now we're paying the piper -- big spring snow dump and cloudy -- looks like winter again. Our beardie is laying around halfway off the edge of his basking platform half asleep, but tolerated a little cuddling earlier this morning. :love5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom