[HELP] My cat got inside the enclosure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghoul

My cat got inside of our beardie's enclosure - Bourbon is totally okay, after getting the cat out we checked for injuries. We'll be getting something to hold the top down, but what do we do for Bourbon? She's obviously very stressed out; I've never seen her beard puffed up so much. She's very clearly scared - can I do anything for her? I'm worried!! Please help!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, good thing she wasn't injured ! Be sure to keep the cat out of the room and get an enclosure with a secure top or make get a top that is cat safe. Just leave Bourbon alone in the quiet room, she'll be O.K after a while.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
If your cat got into the enclosure it will likely do it again unless you do as AHBD suggested.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Lose the cat. Won't happen again that way.
Cats are hardwired for killing, it is in their genetic makeup. They kill for fun!

I know, I know I'm a bad person for saying it but, they are sneaky and dangerous to anything smaller than they are.....truth!!
I work to hard for the money to keep my dragon healthy to feed it to a cat that be replaced for free at anytime.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":3n4tkqlp said:
Lose the cat. Won't happen again that way.
Cats are hardwired for killing, it is in their genetic makeup. They kill for fun!

I know, I know I'm a bad person for saying it but, they are sneaky and dangerous to anything smaller than they are.....truth!!
I work to hard for the money to keep my dragon healthy to feed it to a cat that be replaced for free at anytime.

I totally agree - the cat has to go.

I keep on harping on about how cats and lizards sharing the same home is never a good idea. Just another example of why. :( Thank your lucky stars that it didn't have time to start to torture him and injure or kill him (immediately or after a while from a nasty SI caused by it clawing and or biting him).

Let me guess - screen/mesh top on enclosure - that kind tank is absolutely useless and totally unable to be made cat proof. (a determined cat can tear through a plastic or even wire mesh top very easily given time and the opportunity.) Get rid of the screen top/mesh top and replace it with a good solid / heavy plywood top that the cat can not push / slide off or ajar enough to get a claw into the tank, a cat will jag a lizard with it's claws and drag / lift it out give a chance if it is determined to torture and kill it.

Keeping the cat and trying to keep your beardie safe from it is not going to succeed now the cat has been into his tank , even if your beardie is moved into and kept in kept a room the cat is never allowed into , they are sneeky and it will get in there quick as flash one day and next time things the result will be BAD for the beardie . Only takes a moment of forgetfulness and for someone to forget to close the door to the room or to forget the cat is loose inside the house , and next time you and your beardie will not be so lucky - this I can guarantee.

Is easier and much safer for your beardie to get rid of or banish the cat permanently.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ghoul":9j93wbry said:
My cat got inside of our beardie's enclosure - Bourbon is totally okay, after getting the cat out we checked for injuries. We'll be getting something to hold the top down, but what do we do for Bourbon? She's obviously very stressed out; I've never seen her beard puffed up so much. She's very clearly scared - can I do anything for her? I'm worried!! Please help!!

Remove the cat from the picture permanently for starters.

You must never let the beardie see or hear the cat from here on, even if smells cat on you it will remember it's terror and will be extremely stressed.

Lots of snuggles and comforting for the terrorized beardie.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I'm on the opposite end of this spectrum.

I'm very sorry your cat got into the enclosure and very glad to hear no one got hurt in the process. With a nosy cat like that, keeping the dragon in a cat-free room or properly securing the enclosure will be the way to go, but I'd never tell you to get rid of your cat. That's not a decision of mine to make or even suggest.

I understand everyone here loves their dragons and they are like family, but remember cats can be like family to others, too. I would truthfully consider my cat my best friend - I saved her as a feral kitten in the woods (long story) and personally raised her since. If she ever did anything to hurt my dragons (though I don't like to refer to them this way, but are like my children to me), I would do anything to make the situation work, but not abandon my family/best friend.

I understand where everyone is coming from; cats are nature's perfect predator and a dragon is merely a play thing to them, but just like dragons they have their own personality. My cat may be a little ... b word... but she's no killer and completely trustworthy around my dragons. But this is me, not everyone.

Please approach your situation in the way that makes you and your animals safe and happy.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yep, no need to get rid of the cat. Just keep the cat away from the dragon. What about dogs? I had a Labrador that would kill possum's, snakes, moles, chipmunks and anything she could get her teeth on. Someone posted awhile ago that their dog killed their dragon. Get rid of your cats, get rid of your dog, get rid of your snake, get of all your pets (except your dragon) get rid of your family members because they might accidentally step on your lizard. Seriously?!? Being a responsible pet owner is a better option. I had 4 cats, (two recently died) and still have two of them. They have never had the opportunity to get anywhere near my lizards...my lizards would kill the cats. The venom isn't deadly to humans, but it surely is to a cat.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Your cats don't know they are poison and would try to kill them if they could get to them. Cats are naturally curious and by nature are clever, crafty and, deadly to small creatures.

My lab kills those creatures as well bur run from my dragon lol! They have only met once and it was hilarious watching an 85 lb. Lab run from a 400g dragon.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Gormagon":zezlbhqc said:
Your cats don't know they are poison and would try to kill them if they could get to them. Cats are naturally curious and by nature are clever, crafty and, deadly to small creatures.

My lab kills those creatures as well bur run from my dragon lol! They have only met once and it was hilarious watching an 85 lb. Lab run from a 400g dragon.
The lizards aren't poisonous, they are venomous :) But being a responsible pet owner includes keeping your dragon safe. If the cat got near the lizard that's not responsible. I'm sure the OP has changed that.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
While I do agree with the generalization of cats being what they are - nature's perfect predator, I again want to stress that this is a generalization and cats have their own unique personalities.

As Rankins mentioned, responsible keeping is the key, and getting rid of other pets is a personal decision, not a required one.

Your dog kills those creatures and runs from your dragon, but that's not to say someone else's dog kills all those creatures and also goes for the dragons. Or doesn't kill those creatures and only wants the dragon, or does neither. Not everyone experiences the same thing the same way, and to scare the OP into having to make a decision between their beloved dragon and beloved cat is unnecessary when so many other options are available.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
traildrifterphalanx":1134w263 said:
While I do agree with the generalization of cats being what they are - nature's perfect predator, I again want to stress that this is a generalization and cats have their own unique personalities.

As Rankins mentioned, responsible keeping is the key, and getting rid of other pets is a personal decision, not a required one.

Your dog kills those creatures and runs from your dragon, but that's not to say someone else's dog kills all those creatures and also goes for the dragons. Or doesn't kill those creatures and only wants the dragon, or does neither. Not everyone experiences the same thing the same way, and to scare the OP into having to make a decision between their beloved dragon and beloved cat is unnecessary when so many other options are available.

The funny thing is my cats totally ignore my reptiles. One of them is a F4 Bengal, lots of wild traits. The only time she even is interested in them is when I'm feeding them. She wants more attention because she knows it's focused on the lizards at that moment.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
I honestly can't believe people are commenting to suggest you get rid of your cat. I am not a fan of cats, and I love my beardie more than I like most people, but ALL pets are family. Harsh much? What if the OP had the cat first?

As Rankins and TDP said, separation by room and a closed door is the only way to do it. It's even more important to make sure other (human) members of the household are on board as well.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Rankins - Totally same page, minus the wild Bengal-ness. Just a black and white cat here :D She cares about the bugs way more than the dragons, and takes advantage of me being on the floor to sit and feed dragons for some easy pets and scritches.

YoursTruly - You should have seen how I initially cat-proofed my dragon. She would use my computer desk to get up the the enclosure, so I just put a giant/wide board in the way so she could only see the tank from the floor. It worked, and she lost interest.

It's worth noting I had this cat with no other pets until I got Simon, who, per my signature, I've had almost a year and 10 months (thanks, signature!) so it's not that she grew up around critters and got used to them. She just isn't the predator she's "supposed" to be, and I'm responsible with all my pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom