Grout on Styrofoam

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaraTheBeardie

Hi I wanted to make my beardie Zara a custom made insert and I got this foam/house insulation board. I want to grout it but the grout doesn't "stick" it just flakes off when it's bent. It's for a 40 gallon and I'm afraid that it'll just fall apart when I put it in. Thanks in advance.

That's what we did for my beardies tank. It didn't wanna stick to card board but was fine with the foam. Try sanding the surface of the foam to make it a little more rough so it sticks better

AodasDad

Yea, I know what you mean. I just made a custom viv for Aoda (my baby beardie) and it took an arm and a leg to get things right. First, I'm far from an artist, so my viv didn't really turn out natural looking lol it's more like a castle with layers *shrugs* I also used great stuff foam, and grout does not stick to that stuff very well, not in the least, so I had to use thicker layers on it. I coated it with about 4 layers then realized I didn't take into account the thickness of the grout which started to make the srructure to big for my tank lol So many errors! But I made it to fit. Just waiting for my structure to completely "cure" I guess, I added the last layer yesterday morning and it has been sitting to dry ever since. I'm kinda over the whole thing lol so all I need to do is seal it with a few layers of grout sealer and let it sit for a couple days. The structure seems pretty hard, with the last layer of grout being more like a puddy, so I hope that when I seal it and place it in, it holds up pretty well. But things I've learned is to try and use as little expanding foam as possible, because it's hard to grout, take into account measurements including grout so the structure fits, I'd avoid doing a whole floor because you'd have to grout that too, and it's very time consuming. All in all, I'm hoping it holds and I hope Aoda likes it, still got some ways to go, but hopefully it turns out great, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom