heating help

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK timer and thermostats came in doing a test run basking spot has gotten up to 115 cool side is at 73 any suggestions to balance the two sides out. It's 71 degrees in my apartment. What should my humidity be?

81836-7509463983.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
115 is a *little high but not too bad. There is a nice gradient through the tank so I wouldn't worry about it if there are some good sized areas in the 100-105 range. I don't worry about humidity much unless your room feels humid to you. They survive in a wide range so humidity varies. Anything between about 20-60% is fine in general.

thetruechina

Original Poster
CooperDragon":275dv94u said:
115 is a *little high but not too bad. There is a nice gradient through the tank so I wouldn't worry about it if there are some good sized areas in the 100-105 range. I don't worry about humidity much unless your room feels humid to you. They survive in a wide range so humidity varies. Anything between about 20-60% is fine in general.

What should the temp be on the cooler side?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Usually about 75-80 but that's just a general guide and the temps will fluctuate. My tank is at 103 and 74 right now but sometimes the cool side will drop to 70. I try to keep it between 70-73 overnight but above 65 is fine. The more important thing is to provide a good gradient so your dragon has options available. They're good at self regulating temperature and UVB exposure as they need it.

thetruechina

Original Poster
CooperDragon":n7zwkvdp said:
Usually about 75-80 but that's just a general guide and the temps will fluctuate. My tank is at 103 and 74 right now but sometimes the cool side will drop to 70. I try to keep it between 70-73 overnight but above 65 is fine. The more important thing is to provide a good gradient so your dragon has options available. They're good at self regulating temperature and UVB exposure as they need it.

my basking bulb is 75w would trying a 65w be better to try?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Maybe. but that much of a cut may make the basking spot too low. You might try a lamp dimmer if you can't adjust the height of the basking bulb.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good UVB fixture and a T5 bulb has an optimal output at around 12'' above the basking area. Very much appropriate for that enclosure.

thetruechina

Original Poster
CooperDragon":6s3toy6h said:
That's a good UVB fixture and a T5 bulb has an optimal output at around 12'' above the basking area. Very much appropriate for that enclosure.

I'll play around with the height of the hammock see if that helps bring the temp down just a bit.

thetruechina

Original Poster
I moved the hammock down and did a short test run, the temp got to 109. I'm going to fully test it this weekend so I know what I should do. I so can't wait to get the baby but I want everything perfect before I do.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
109 is just right for a basking area. Keep in mind the temps will vary across the basking area so as long as you have a good gradient throughout the tank and you have an area of 100-110 or so that is large enough for your dragon to bask under evenly, you should be in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom