Male & Female fighting or mating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaddychainsaw

(Skip to bottom for the overal question)
I have a male(10months) and female(8 months) living together For about a couple months in a 40g tank. they have two basking lights and have everything they would ever need. the male has recently started mounting the female and biting her neck attempting to mate, this much I understand. But now the male and female have also started circling eachother trying to bite at each others tails. I'm aware this is a sign of aggression and they do this probably once or twice every day. I've asked someone at a reptile shop and they said they would probably be fine and I'm gonna call a vet too. I'm trying to get more than one opinion on this or atleast the most supported opinion. So,
Is this a normal thing for beardied dragons to do when mating or should they be separated?

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Hi there!

They should ABSOLUTELY be separated as soon as possible!! It is never a good idea to house dragons together, especially in such a small tank. 40 gallons is a minimum requirement for one adult dragon.

They are territorial creatures and as you can clearly already see, will fight, sometimes to the death. If they have mated and the female is going to lay, it is absolutely essential she has her own stree-free space and plenty of food and basking time and extra nutrition and calcium. If she's housed with another dragon, she will stress, causing her health to go severely south, and she could die.

Sorry if it comes off as harsh, but there are dozens of other threads and warning everywhere showing the dangers of housing dragons together. Please, please, please separate them immediately!!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I'm just here for back-up to Fuchia's post as there are some keepers that do not heed the warning from others.

Please separate them immediately
All the information contained in her response is correct. Though some appear to get along, you cannot evaluate the amount of mental and physiological issues going on with either dragon.
For the health of both dragons and the peace of mind in general, please house them separately.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with the other 2 posters. They NEED to be separated ASAP as their fighting will just get worse.

I hope that the female has not been bred already because at only 8 months old, she is not even close to being full grown which won't occur until she is at least 2 yrs old. She is still a junvenile so breeding at such a young age is VERY dangerous and she probably wouldn't be able to survive laying at least 4 clutches of eggs consisting of about 20 eggs each.

The male is going through puberty but he isn't old enough to breed either.

Having 2 basking bulbs in that sized tank doesn't seem like it would allow for proper thermoregulation. Is there a cool side in the tank? What type of thermometer are you using?

Please do the right thing and separate them before anymore damage is done.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
These are pics from a post made a while back that show just how brutal these attacks can be. They are sudden and, horrific. Your dragons are all ready showing signs that things are headed this way.

87978-4293498728.jpg
87978-2240671511.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Chaddychainsaw":2cp9bwbd said:
(Skip to bottom for the overal question)
I have a male(10months) and female(8 months) living together For about a couple months in a 40g tank. they have two basking lights and have everything they would ever need. the male has recently started mounting the female and biting her neck attempting to mate, this much I understand. But now the male and female have also started circling eachother trying to bite at each others tails. I'm aware this is a sign of aggression and they do this probably once or twice every day. I've asked someone at a reptile shop and they said they would probably be fine and I'm gonna call a vet too. I'm trying to get more than one opinion on this or atleast the most supported opinion. So,
Is this a normal thing for beardied dragons to do when mating or should they be separated?

They MUST BE SEPARATED IMMEDIATELY IF NOT SOONER.

They are not mating , this is territorial and it can and will go down hill very fast and THEY ARE CAPABLE OF KILLING EACH OTHER though it's going to be the smaller dragon who will come off secondbest - dead or horribly maimed.

If you are short of cash, visit a hardware shop and buy a 100L to 140L stackable tub with a clip on lid and see through sides and convert it to a temporary lizard tank , move the LARGER dragon NOT the SMALLER one, as the smaller one likely will already be stressed and doesn't need another lot of relocation stress.
like http://nightingalecc.com.au/storage-box-tub-130l.html

All you need to convert a tub to a lizard tank is a soldering iron to melt air holes (a bunch of 50 up high near the lid , other down near the bottom opposite side).
A drill-driver to drill a guide hole in the lid for a C-screw or a couple to install a 26W UVB200 in a NanoHood under the lid using hex head screws.
Bit of offcut plywood to mount the ceramic E27 fitting for the basking globe under the lid or on wedges attached to the sides.
Ezypezy & cheap as chips !

Mysty

Juvie Member
Hi there.

I hope these replies have not upset/scared you. I was in exactly the same position a week ago when we rehomed two dragons living in the same vivarium. They now live seperately and are nuch happier for it.

If it helps, here's some ways of avoiding conflict and some steps you can take now and later.

1. Now: Get something to divide the two halves of the viv if you're really worried. Stiff cardboard might work. Has to be lightweight in case it falls.

2. Now: If you don't already, feed outside the viv where possible to avoid conflict over food.

3. Now: Look on 2nd hand sites, local newspaper etc for any second hand vivs. Don't t be aftaid to make an offer.

4. Now: Contact local rescues or good reptile stores to see if they can house one of the dragons while you source a new viv.

5. Later: Get your new vivarium. Put some of the decorations/hide etc in from the current vivarium so that there is something familiar.

Best of luck.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
As someone who has bred many dragons, I agree with all the others. Please don't listen to the pet store guy, he deals with multiple types of animals and is not an expert. The circling DOES indicate a fighting position....in seconds an entire foot can be mangled or bitten off.
I also agree with this as a quick housing possibility for now.

"If you are short of cash, visit a hardware shop and buy a 100L to 140L stackable tub with a clip on lid and see through sides and convert it to a temporary lizard tank , move the LARGER dragon NOT the SMALLER one, as the smaller one likely will already be stressed and doesn't need another lot of relocation stress."

You can get a large plastic tote from Walmart or Home Depot , even the Dollar store. Cut a hole out of the top, or just leave the top off and cover with wire screen. Mount at least one high watt heat bulb until you can get another uvb bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom