Overheating!! Help??

Status
Not open for further replies.

genirand

I keep my bearded dragon enclosure in my bedroom. I finally got new lights for my beardie's enclosure. The heat lamps are heating my entire bedroom to 80 degrees! It's unbearable! I'm afraid the "cool side" of her enclosure is too hot, it's also 80 degrees! The basking side is the right temperature.
I'm using a 100 watt basking bulb and a 100 watt night heating bulb as well as a lower wattage uv bulb. My tank is 3 feet long, and I have an adult bearded dragon.
Any tips on keeping the cool side cooler while still maintaining the heat on the warm side? How to cool down my bedroom? Should I keep the enclosure in a separate room?
Any help would be appreciated! :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It shouldn't be heating the room that much. How are you measuring the temps in the tank? I highly recommend using digital thermometers w/probe - one for each end of the tank - so you can accurately monitor the surface temperatures. An IR temp gun will work too. If your room is staying warm overnight you don't need the night heater. Anything above about 65 is fine. In the winter I use a heat emitter to bump the temps up to the low 70s but that's it.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Dragons like it cool and dark at night "pitch dark", this allows them to slow their metabolism and actually rest when they sleep. Any type of light source will disturb this process, making them irritable, causes appetite loss, lethargy and plain ole grumpy!

genirand

Original Poster
Ok I'm turning off the night bulb. To measure temperature, I have a thermometer strip on one side and a circular thermometer on the other side.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
In a 40gl breeder tank ( I am assuming this is what you have), you should be able to get by with a 75w or less. I heat a 100gl ( 2x2x4) with a 75w bulb 100w is just too hot.
I don't see any mention of a uvb light, these are a must and, they are not created equal. The coil type (or scew in type) uvb can cause eye irritation, eye infection and/or, blindness in some cases. I highly recommend a long tube type uvb as, they are the closest to what a dragon actually needs to survive. I use the Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO, others use the Acadia 12%D3 which is also a great uvb source.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
genirand":2b74n3p8 said:
Ok I'm turning off the night bulb. To measure temperature, I have a thermometer strip on one side and a circular thermometer on the other side.
The strip thermometers and the round gauge (dial) are VERY inaccurate and can be off at least 20 degrees. They are measuring the temp of the glass so the basking spot has to be much higher.

You really need to get a digital probe thermometer or a temperature gun asap so you know what the true temps are as Cooper suggested.

I agree with Gormagon that if you have a 40 gallon breeder tank, you shouldn't need anything higher than a 75 watt bulb.

Where does your adult beardie spend most of the time when in the tank?

genirand

Original Poster
I have a 50 gallon tank. My dragon stays on the cooler side. Probably a sign that it's too hot.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
genirand":ni28p2ws said:
I have a 50 gallon tank. My dragon stays on the cooler side. Probably a sign that it's too hot.
Yup!!! Again, I heat one twice that size with a 75w.

Still no mention of uvb?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that since your beardie is staying on the cool side, it seems like he must be too hot. When do you think you'd be able to get a temp gun or digital probe thermometer?

Could you fill us in on the brand & type of UVB you have to make sure it is one that produces a decent amount of UV exposure? There are some that are just about useless and we want to make sure yours is a good one. ;)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
genirand":3blee5az said:
I do have a uva/uvb bulb on one side of the tank
What is the wattage? Is it a MVB...mercury vapor bulb? If so it needs to be over the basking area and, will be the only heat source needed during the day.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Any luck getting the digital probe thermometer?

I don't think a UVB bulb comes in a 60 watt. Are you sure it supplies UVB? Can you post a picture of the box or the bulb?

wolfeman

I use acurite Indoor Temperature and Humidity Monitor (Walmart around 10.00) I have one on each end about half way up the sides of the tank... has mentioned by other on the lights... i use arcadia 12% with T5 light fixture and a mercury vapor bulb for basking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom