Poo Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Hi all!

As stated, Thomas seems to be having some poo issues. Today he had a nice big one in the morning on his paper towels, which was cleaned up immediately. It seemed a little loose, but he's well hydrated so I wasn't concerned, and the urate was nice and white. He managed to step in it, of course, so he did get a bath right away with some gentle organic baby soap. He went back in his tank after his breakfast of three bites of dandelion greens and about 25 medium dubias. Today is vitamin day, so they were lightly dusted with his Rep-Cal Herptivite.

A couple of hours later, he got his run-around time with his Mega Ray MVB spot turned on. After a couple of laps he came back to his spot and did another poo. I happened to be watching a little more closely this time and noticed there was some fleshy protrusions on either side of his vent that I've never seen happen before. There also seemed to be a very tiny amount of redish liquid, which I can only infer is blood? He hasn't eaten anything red (his new phase is only to eat things that are green! :roll: ) and his appetite and energy levels haven't changed. He is starting ANOTHER shed, so he's a little grumpy, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I did take that second poo straight to my herp vet, who is luckily right up the street, the sample might even have still been warm! :lol: He did test positive for parasites about two months ago (darn Petco crickets...), but his treatments were finished and he got the all-clear after that. His tank gets cleaned and steamed and F10 sanitized once a week, 'furniture' gets a bake in the oven, and all poos are immediately removed and the entire area spot cleaned and F10-ed. (I'm a little paranoid about more parasites, as you can tell).

I do have an appointment with the vet tomorrow morning, but was hoping someone else might have some ideas?

Thanks so much!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Second poo happens sometimes. My guy did that today too. The red coloring is a little concerning but could just be straining a bit. It's good that it's so convenient to get a sample checked out, if only for peace of mind. Do the fleshy bits look like a seminal plug?

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Nope, I wondered that also. They look pink with very fine veins. They don't look 'irritated' red, just normal internal fleshy pink, and they protruded maybe an eighth to a quarter inch. Potential prolapse, perhaps? They did go back in when he was done, and he didn't seem to be in any kind of pain or discomfort. No black bearding or scowling... There doesn't seem to be any swelling around his vent area, either. He's currently hamming it up on his basking spot with the tip of his tongue sticking out and a goofy grin on his face, so I don't think it's bothering him whatever it is. (Just trying to freak me out, little bugger) :lol:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah sounds like maybe a mild prolapse. Keep a close eye on that. Hopefully that's the end of it but if a full prolapse does happen a trip to the vet is warranted.

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gotcha, and I certainly will. He's getting checked out in the morning, so I'll know something then. Thanks!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom