Shedding seems to take a toll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
The past few times my dragon has shed she gets really... blegh. She doesn't eat as much and just activity level bottoms out. Her last shed was so bad I thought she was sick and took her to the vet. It ended up being deep clogged nose and she couldn't breathe. She just had a full body shed that ended maybe a week ago, but her head never shed and is still that dull grey. I've been giving her baths and even rubbing with a soft bristle toothbrush. Today her body looked pale like another shed maybe in the works.

Is there anything I can do to help ease how bad these sheds are? Is it normal for them to get so "down" when they shed?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Ya, I've seen the same thing with Peaches during her last shed but this time she is eating and, acting a bit grump is all.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Glad it's relatively normal for them, but still sucks :( this time around she's just eating once per day instead of three times so she just seems to have no energy or something. I even bumped up her temps since she has a new tank to see if maybe that lady the problem. Is there any spray or bath additives to help the shed break lose a little better?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I just bath her every other day so it will loosen a dry. This I think helps it split and peel off better than doing it every day.
They make a product called shed ease but I have not tried it out.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
My youngest actually bit his own toe off during the second shed he had since I got him. I take it he likely got his circulation cut off at the toe and bit at it in an attempt to free it. In the meanwhile, mangled his toe badly and it eventually just fell off.

Due to this, I will actually start adding Shed-Ease to his baths when his shed starts peeling up
http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zilla-shed-ease-reptile-bath

It seems to help a little bit, but it's hard to tell considering they ask them to soak at least 10 mins and mine wants out as soon as he touches the water. It seems more useful for helping a shed that's already peeling peel off naturally a lot easier rather than helping the shed while it's still intact, however again my results are flawed due to a bath hater

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Lol the only other problem with it is that a 10 minute soak In Itself would probably do the trick :/

I may grab some just in case though. Mags used to hate baths, but seems to "tolerate" them now. She has her own toothbrush also!! I bought a pack at the dollar tree of the soft bristle. I used to keep them by the sink til my daughter grabbed it one day thinking it was hers and tried to brush her teeth... parenting at its finest....

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Zombiepanda":12yhq3yx said:
Lol the only other problem with it is that a 10 minute soak In Itself would probably do the trick :/

I may grab some just in case though. Mags used to hate baths, but seems to "tolerate" them now. She has her own toothbrush also!! I bought a pack at the dollar tree of the soft bristle. I used to keep them by the sink til my daughter grabbed it one day thinking it was hers and tried to brush her teeth... parenting at its finest....

Lol! My dragons each have their own toothbrush but thankfully I have no kids.
And that's completely correct, a 10 min soak on it's own would do some good, but my little guy will continue to soil the water until I stop refilling it, so bathing him is basically just him pooping non-stop to prove a point.

The Shed-Ease main ingredient I believe is aloe, and it definitely makes the shedding skin softer (when I can manage to soak him), so maybe it's less irritating for them

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Lmao!! That's hilarious!! I think my daughter has done the same thing before ? Kids man.. kids... the actual and scaley kind..

I wonder I placing an aloe clipping into the water directly would work and have less chemicals??

She stresses me out so badly. She goes from super active to nothing. Just laying in the same spot the entire day. Not eating or anything.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Yikes, neither of mine have been hit that bad with sheds before... My oldest, Simon, will stop eating, but Richter isn't bothered at all.
I actually just ran home on lunch to feed them and Richter's entire back shed popped off like a cape.

Edit: It appears pure aloe vera is recommended for silk backs. I can't imagine using the straight up plant aloe vera in their bath could do any harm. Worth a shot

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah she really gets down and out when she sheds. Hershey's before last one absolutely freaked me out. I was convinced she had an RI and took her to the vet and they said her entire nostril cavity was clogged with skin, but deep down and you couldn't tell by the outside nostril hole. She's always well hydrated so I'm not sure why her sheds comes off so thick and take so long and so much out of her. This past one came off decently, but her head never shed and has stayed grey. And then a week later her tail is still bright but her back went dull so I assume maybe another shed in the works.

I'll try the aloe and update! ... I guess I better buy some aloe lol

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Poor kid... I hope it calms down a bit for her soon.

Just figured I'd post this if it swayed your mind.
From what the ingredients are in shed-ease, appears all natural. I'm still unsure if this would help her, but in case this information is of use to you-

Directions for Use:
Shake well before use.
Add 10ml of Shed-Ease to 16 ounces of lukewarm water. Soak reptile for 20 minutes to allow emollients to penetrate skin. Old skin should slip off easily.
If any old skin remains, gently rub to remove. Do not attempt to pull dry skin off of reptiles. Never leave soaking reptiles unattended.
For reptiles naturally found in high-humidity environments, soak for 10 minutes, once a week.

Ingredients:
Deionized Water, Aloe Vera, Salt, Glycerol, Potassium Sorbate, and Sodium Benzoate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom