Zoo Med PowerSun?

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Zoo Med PowerSun?

Postby Cinnasticks » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:17 am

Hello Beardie community,

I'm a new beardie owner looking for some advice. I was recently advised onanother post to swap out my Reptisun 10.0UVB compact flourescent. Not realizing and completely understanding the difference between the coiled compact tubes and the long tubes, I went about bought a 100W PowerSun UV lamp.

Long story short, I'm in the process of putting together another viv to separate my juvenile dragons. I plan to buy a Reptisun 10.0UVB tube and construct a hood for the new viv, but that still leaves me with this PowerSun lamp. I haven't really been able to find too much info on them on the forums, and how they compare to the ReptiSun. Should I just return the sucker to the store, since I bought it yesterday? It was a pricey sucker at $60, and I think I'd feel more comfortable just going with everyone's #1 light bulb pick. But if the PowerSun is comparable, can I just use the darned thing?
Cinnasticks
Newbie Poster

Re: Zoo Med PowerSun?

Postby Taterbug » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:30 am

You can refer to this site for test results and information. http://www.uvguide.co.uk/UVTool-mercvapindex.htm
You can use it but setup is different.
Taterbug
BD.org Addict

Postby Cinnasticks » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 am

Taterbug wrote:You can refer to this site for test results and information. http://www.uvguide.co.uk/UVTool-mercvapindex.htm
You can use it but setup is different.

Excellent, thank you for the useful site to reference. How would it change the set up? Currently I have it sitting on top of the screen of a 20L, to the right side next to a heat lamp. The basking spot is about 7" away, top. I bought a digital probe thermometer and it's reading usually 103.9F.
Cinnasticks
Newbie Poster

Postby Taterbug » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:18 am

You'll want to set it by UV not by temperature. Check the charts for your wattage lamp and set it a distance that will get about 3-5UVI. You may need to add another lamp for heat if it's not warm enough.
Taterbug
BD.org Addict

Postby Cinnasticks » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:35 am

Taterbug wrote:You'll want to set it by UV not by temperature. Check the charts for your wattage lamp and set it a distance that will get about 3-5UVI. You may need to add another lamp for heat if it's not warm enough.

Thanks a ton, Tater! I have a heat lamp in addition, as I noticed the UVB alone wasn't warm enough. I think I'll use this one with a 20 tall so that I have enough height. Might have to hang the lamp from a peg...
Cinnasticks
Newbie Poster

Return to Enclosures