Severe Arthritis looking for suggestions/help

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pogonas

Hello,

I just found out that my 5 1/2 year old beardie Sid has severe arthritis, and am looking for any suggestions/help on how to help her with the pain. Apparently this is rare in lizards. Basically my vet has said we can try drugs, but if it doesn't work I should consider putting her down :( as she's in a lot of pain.

Long story short she was a happy healthy dragon and then last March she started to get tail rot. After three tail amputations (the last one May 2016), she finally healed properly but I started to notice twitching and pain in right back leg and back and minimal/difficult mobility after healing. X-rays show severe arthritis, so we tried metacam first (0.2 cc) every day but did not help. Now she is on Buprenorphine (0.02 cc) every day, which seems to be helping a bit as she's more alert and eating but still not great.

Anyone had this in their beardie and if so how did you deal with it? I love my baby and want to try all I can before deciding to put her down.

2Pogonas

Original Poster
Yes she's been through a lot and it's hard to see her in pain. Thanks so much for the information I will definitely try this out!

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I agree with cooper too. You could try some colloidal silver also. It might help depending what the arthritis is caused from. It's worth a try. You can find it on the same site link.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry your Sid isn't doing well. Arthritis can be very painful for them.
Did they do any x-rays see if she has any metabolic bone issues since her amputation?
You could give a daily bath in nice warm water, to help try to relieve some of the pain & swelling.
The pain meds are only good for short term use unfortunately, as they can cause side effects.
The serrapeptase is a silkworm enzyme used for pain relief, along with anti-inflammatory relief too.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

2Pogonas

Original Poster
Yes I got x-rays which is how we found out it was arthritis. There is no metabolic bone issues. I have been giving her daily baths too, but I figured there wasn't much I could do I will try the silk worms and Look at the silver collidial too.

Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how Sid is doing. Continue with the daily baths, it could help relieve some discomfort & pain some.
Hopefully she will like the silkworms! Most tend to as they are nice & soft.
I am glad that at least she doesn't have metabolic bone disease on top of the arthritis, that would be even worse!

Tracie

SDragons

Juvie Member
Perhaps take a look at how the tank is set up to ensure it is easy for them to climb up for basking without the need for difficult climbing or jumping that could cause more pain.

2Pogonas

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions, she is doing s bit better on her meds and have ordered the silk worm oil so hope to see more improvement. I already had to change the tank when she had the amputations because she couldn't climb, but thanks for the suggestion.

I have heard about CBD (Cannabidiol) oil for pets too but I can't get in Canada yet which is too bad.

2Pogonas

Original Poster
On week 2 of Serrapeptase in combination with her meds and she seems to be doing a lot better. I'll be ordering some more, thanks to all who suggested this.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is terrific news Sid seems to be responding to the serrapeptase & medication combination. I really hope she is feeling better! :D

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
They got your dragon on some potent medication! It's weird you can't get cannabinoid medications in Canada, I thought it wasnt restricted there. Hopefully you and your vet can come up with a good pain management plan and some of the other naturalistic suggestions help.

2Pogonas

Original Poster
Yes I think the meds are too strong, they Serrapeptase seems to help so I'm hoping to do that in combination with CBD as a few places are finally starting to carry it. Will start that in about a week?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Sid doing today?
Keep us posted on her. I hope she is moving around better & having less pain, too. :D

Tracie

2Pogonas

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the concern, I'm very glad I joined this forum and get to share with other beardie lovers. She is doing a lot better, less twitching, moves more although still not easily but considering her condition it's lot better, and she's eating more.

I finally found some CBD oil and want to start trialing it on her but I need to figure out the proper dose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom