Tornado Season!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, it's almost tornado season here, and we often have to go into the cellar. Well, I have never taken my bearded dragon into the cellar. I'm afraid he will get too cold down there. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to keep him warm? I have a heating pad, but it only works if it is plugged in. Any advice would help. Thanks:)

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
If you lose power fill up 2 liter bottles with warm water before the water heater cools down. You can put them in a bin with the dragon. It should help for a few hrs.
Or chemical heat packs.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Sure thing:)
I came up with the idea of water bottles as a way to keep my incubators warm if power went out. One of my incubators was full of water bottles...20 gallons worth. It does work, but I bought a generator last fall just in case I lost power for an extended period of time.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's always good to have handwarmers available. They can last up to 18 or more hours [ they come in different types ] so would last a long time and can be carried anywhere. The bottles are heavy, can crush a beardie + will cool off in an hour or so. Handwarmers can be found at Walmart or sporting goods stores.

Handwarmers get VERY hot so they would have to be loosely wrapped so as not to come in contact with your beardie. There are heat packs sold for shipping that last 40,-60 hours [ the 40's give off more heat ] you can order online if need be.

SDragons

Juvie Member
You can also put your dragon on you and use your body heat to keep them warm.
Depending on hiw cold it gets at night, them most likely will be fine in a cooler cage when it come time for sleeping.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I second the 18hr handwarmers and some towels or soft blankets. I have a 40g breeder tank set up in the basement in case of emergencies. I also have a computer battery backup on my lights which can keep the lights in the main tank (or a portable basking light) going for several hours during an outage. I also keep the bug supply in the basement.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Water bottles will only crush a bearded dragon if your not very smart ;)
I didn't realize I had to explain how to do it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Rankins":3012jg5c said:
Water bottles will only crush a bearded dragon if your not very smart ;)
I didn't realize I had to explain how to do it.

Well don't go crushing the poor little guys with giant water bottles! Geez, what'd they do to you? :lol:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
OUCH !! That was me dropping a water bottle on my foot. Oh well, you're right, some people just don't know how to do it. :wink:

But yeah, as long as you don't need to quickly move the tank or anything it can work. :)

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry, it just never occurred to me that someone would be careless enough to crush them with a water bottle. But I suppose some people need more help with things than others. I would feel awful if someone followed my advice carelessly and killed their dragon. :(

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Pillow cases are used for emergency lizard housing in bushfire season or when tropical cyclones are threatening here (Australia) ,the lizards go into a pillow case (each) and into a tub where they sleep away the emergency .

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Speak of the devil... Tornado warnings have just started cropping up all over the state. Just severe t-storms here so far. Emergency tank in the cellar is ready to go. Enjoying the light show for now =)

76248-7218086878.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom