New Food suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtjlcl

I still cant get Gonzo to eat anything. I keep fruit and vegetables in a dish and Phoenix worms in a dish in her tank. I also try crickets and dubia roaches. I take her tree and log out of her tank to make sure she sees them but she doesn't even look at them or attempt to go after them. I don't know what else to try to feed her. I know superworms and mealworms are not good for them.

I never worried when she didn't eat before because she never lost weight. Now that she is losing weight I am worried. I did a temp gun and heat and lighting is ok. The thermometer in her cage is not what we go by. (its in picture and not accurate) we just keep it in the cage because she likes to stand on her rock and hold onto it with her front legs sometimes.

Will be taking her to the vet but wondering what I can try until I get her there. He is only in a few days a week. She runs around like crazy and is very active. Could it be she just doesn't want to eat anything or She is just being finicky and there isn't an issue? She had gone months before without eating and pooping but she didn't lose weight. Took her to the vet and even did tests and xrays and nothing was wrong with her.

Suggestions on new food she may eat would be great something that may intrigue her into eating.. I have tried almost all fruits and veg. There isn't much live bait I can get locally and not have to order and wait for it to get here.

Also, she has not shed since end of last summer. But I guess if she isn't growing she doesn't shed right? She is getting regular baths.

87112-16904404.jpg
87112-641690339.jpg

Jtjlcl

Original Poster
Thanks I will try those. What size would you suggest for her size? Large? Sometimes I think she is blind or has trouble seeing because she doesn't even look down at the food I try to feed her even if its running right in front of her. But I know because of her other actions inside and outside her tank that she is seeing just fine. lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah I'd get large if they are available. The small ones are really tiny and take a while to become a useful size. Darwin sees the container from another room and comes rushing over with his head in the air begging like a dog would. If she likes them as much as he does it will settle whether or not she can see =).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":2wbih571 said:
She looks healthy and it's good that she's so active. My guy goes through phases when he won't eat anything and his weight drops off a little. Try offering something new like silk worms. They are Darwin's favorite. https://www.coastalsilkworms.com/silkworm-pod.html

yep silkworms are my beardies' fav by far, even Toothless likes them and he's no fan of worms.

I'd get some medium and small sized silkworms for Gonzo , and simply place him on your tummy or chest and place a medium silkworm where he can see it.... look away and the chances are the silkworm will mysteriously disappear (and Gonzo will have green silkworm goo dribbling down his chin and pleased look on his face).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":31tutmph said:
Yeah I'd get large if they are available. The small ones are really tiny and take a while to become a useful size. Darwin sees the container from another room and comes rushing over with his head in the air begging like a dog would. If she likes them as much as he does it will settle whether or not she can see =).

I think the OP will get value from their silkworm order if they get a mix of sizes of silkworm in their order ( small = mealworm sized = 1.5" long will take a few weeks to grow to large ) , medium about 2" long will take a week or two , depending on how much food you give them) .
If the OP gets a order of 50 - 100 large silkworms , a large number of them will pupate before being fed to Gonzo who will likely only eat 2 - 3 large silkworms in a sitting.

I'd ask for 1/3 each size and order maybe 100 worms. if you can get fresh mulberry leaves, you'll need 5 - 6 big freezer bags full to feed 100 worms, the leaves keep pretty well in loosely sealed plastic bags in the crisper and can easily and successfully be blanched/chilled then frozen for use as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom