Lethargy and feeble attempts at eating. Vet is no help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
kyleena29":1b3zm5qo said:
You don't have to but I think the herbivore mix would be better if you get any.

The beardie needs a boost , vegs wont give more than some fibre and vitamins, I think the carnivore mix is probably the better mix for him.

tarantulahawk

Original Poster
Where's a good place to get an appropriate sized enclosure for Ziggy? The pet stores near me seem to not have the correct size terreriums and have properly sized aquariums with light hoods and glass canopies.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
If you have a way, I would build your own. You can try craigslist or pawn shops too. But you will spend a lot to find something new. How is Ziggy doing now?

tarantulahawk

Original Poster
Is there a guide on how to do this? I feel it would be cheaper this way. And he's doing the same. High energy but low appetite. I found vets with experience with reptiles and I'll pay them a visit quite soon. His critical care came in the mail today but unfortunately I don't have a scale nor the slightest idea of how much he weighs therefore how much to give him. I wish there was some sort of general dose I can give him but it seems as if I'll have to take him to the vet for that as well.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So the last report on how he's doing health wise is that he's eating the smoothies, some greens and crickets as well as being more active ? If so, he may be on the mend and he's getting what he needed.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
tarantulahawk":a04k2ykk said:
Is there a guide on how to do this? I feel it would be cheaper this way. And he's doing the same. High energy but low appetite. I found vets with experience with reptiles and I'll pay them a visit quite soon. His critical care came in the mail today but unfortunately I don't have a scale nor the slightest idea of how much he weighs therefore how much to give him. I wish there was some sort of general dose I can give him but it seems as if I'll have to take him to the vet for that as well.

Digital flat-top kitchen scales are perfect so long as they can handle a beardie's weight (can be up 700g or more). Where to find one - any good supermarket (check the kitchen section where they have the pans, knifes, plates, etc , you'll likely find a digital kitchen scale there for about $10 - $30 depending on it's brand and quality).

I wouldn't go guessing on the doseage of critical care without weighing him first.

Building a DIYS enclosure , basic size for a single adult bearded dragon
48 inches long x 24 inches wide x up to 24 inches tall.

Rex's and Puff's enclosures are DIYSers , and both are 400mm tall , a reasonably good height for beardie's forever home as I only need 80 - 100W to in a MVB or a par38 clear colourless incandescent to get a basking spot at 40oC.

Check Arcadia's lighting guide for setting up then UV and basking lights to get proper levels of UVA , UVB and heat in the basking spot, warm and cool zones. http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/guide-bearded-dragon.jpg

Here's an example of how make a DIYS beardie's tank : https://beardies.dreamwidth.org/2145.html , I used 1/2" thick marine plywood to do Rex's and Puff's tanks rather than particle board (it's more durable and no need to laminate it).

tarantulahawk

Original Poster
That is true. Seeing as I'm giving him greens and his stool was quite watery I've decided to do 5 mL of smoothie twice a week. Doing greens every day (minus smoothie days) with 4 crickets 3 times a week. Twice with calcium and multivitamins and the third are plain. It should be noted, however, that he is not feeding himself. I still have to put everything in his mouth but he chews and swallows on his own. His throat is still 'swollen' as well.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I really think he needs a vet and stool sample done. Make sure they are experienced. Not all technicians know what to look for if they're used to cats and dogs. If you're interested in making an enclosure that is 4x2x2 I can send you a guide I made.

tarantulahawk

Original Poster
I assure you that, despite the amount of time it's taking me to do so, he will see a vet. I'll inform them of all recent changes and request they have a look at his stool. And I would appreciate it if you sent me that guide. And yes, I made sure that they have experience with reptiles.

tarantulahawk

Original Poster
Okay so I started Ziggy on on Critical care, I'll give the rest of his doses throughout the evening. His appointment is tomorrow but I misunderstood my mother and thought I would be able to take him tomorrow but it may have to be the following Friday.

tarantulahawk

Original Poster
Vet Update: The vet daignosed him with hypervitaminosis A. She also took a fresh stool sample to be run by the lab. Tomorrow I'm going to go out and get some Repashy for Ziggy and perhaps some Dubia roaches to see if he takes an interest. If I'm looking to bump up the temp of Ziggy's basking spot by only a few degrees, what lamp/bulb do you recommend? His basking spot is usually 37.5°C

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is that hypo or hypervitaminosis A ? Was it determined by a blood test ? Hyper would mean that Ziggy has had too much vitamin A from a reptile vitamin supplement. Were you using a certain type ?

To get the tank a bit warmer, just throw a towel or piece of cardboard over part of the screen.

tarantulahawk

Original Poster
Hyper. She determined this by the puffyness around his eyes, legs and throat no blood was drawn. She confirmed he did not have 'rubber jaw' as well as some bacterial infection in his mouth. Where would I put the towel or cardboard? Just anywhere? Any specifications I should follow in terms of shape and dimensions?

Keeann

Hey there, I'm no beardie expert as I've only owned one and recently had to have him EU'd in January due to what I personally think was kidney disease (I found him running wild in a neighbourhood that uses a lot of pesticides to upkeep gardens, and so he was eating poisoned insects and garden plants). He got very lethargic close to the end and also suddenly stopped eating both by hunting and by hand, and his eyes were also swollen and a little goopy. I thought I would stop in and give you my experience in case you would like to ask your vet if this could also be the case, since you have an older beardie.

Do their eyes by any chance look like this?

89624-3057839684.jpg
89624-7123209242.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom