Great dish for feeding Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

charmander16

Juvie Member
I wanted to share my experience with a great dish to use for feeding bearded dragons. I had been having problems finding the right dish to use, and ended up getting a cheap plant pot saucer from Lowes. I really recommend these.

Here is a link to them on-line: https://www.lowes.com/pd/dotchi-10-in-Clear-Plastic-Plant-Saucer/50328523

These come in two types, normal and heavy duty. I recommend the heavy duty. The sizes range from 6" to 14" in 2" increments. I'm using an 8" dish in our setup right now. I wanted something big enough that my lizard could fit into entirely.

What's great about these is that the walls are high and slick enough that pretty much no bugs can get out of them, except stuff like crickets, yet they are also low enough that most 2 month old dragons will be able to crawl out of them on their own.

You can't just use them straight as they are, though, because the walls are too high for most dragons to climb into. I built an simple wooden platform to go around mine. Below are some pics of how ours is setup.

What I really like about this is that I can put food in this dish early in the morning and be confident that he's be able to eat it on his own when he wants to and none of it is going to escape. Took him a couple of days to get used to it, but using this dish has really improved his eating habits dramatically and he loves it. I have it placed right next to his basking perch because he likes to get up there in the mornings to warm up, then he'll start eyeing his prey, and then he'll run down into it, or even jump from the top into the dish, and hunt around. Then when he's done he'll run up onto the basking perch again to digest. It's perfect.

Anyway, I really recommend these and it seems like a pretty perfect feeding solution. This was something I had been struggling with for a few months and was never able to find quite the right feeding container, but this is really working well.

88641-6492935805.jpg

88641-5973067377.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom