My bearded dragon has been in brumation for 6+ months

Status
Not open for further replies.

PayPay24

Hello,
My beared dragon has been in brumation since thanks giving, it is now February and she hasn't come out of her cave to eat, poop or socialize like she used to. She is 14in long and is normally active, I would let her run along my the couch next to a big pane window so she could get natural sun and she would run amuck the house. I would watch her so she wouldn't eat anything and she doesn't have any parisites or anything like that but she does move on a daily basis in a circle like motion cause she sleeps curled up. She has me extremely worried that something is wrong.

Sincerely,
Payton

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Has her weight decreased during this time? It's important to keep an eye on their weight during brumation. Significant weight loss could indicate illness rather than brumation. When they brumate they slow their systems down quite a bit and their activity decreases to varying degrees but their weight remains relatively stable. A few months of brumation (Since Thanksgiving) isn't all that unusual.

PayPay24

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3243px7h said:
Has her weight decreased during this time? It's important to keep an eye on their weight during brumation. Significant weight loss could indicate illness rather than brumation. When they brumate they slow their systems down quite a bit and their activity decreases to varying degrees but their weight remains relatively stable. A few months of brumation (Since Thanksgiving) isn't all that unusual.
Thank you I will weigh her and see if she lost wieght. I'm new to this and my parents have been constantly been asking me if she's dead because she hasn't come out

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Payton....do you mean brumating 4 months ? End of Nov. to now is 4 months. Still, that's way too long for a young dragon....is she 14" with a complete tail or is it nipped ? How old is she + how long have you had her ? And you say that she's walking in circles ? Can you get a video of it ? That can indicate a neurological condition. If so you'll need to have her seen by a reptile vet that is very experienced with beardies. She probably has some serious calcium + vitamin deficiencies.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Just a little added tip: They can't get any uv from a window if it's closed. UV can't penetrate through glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom