Beardies on a bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lozandgizmo

Hey there everyone.

I have just taken on my dragon gizmo and I'm curious about taking them on public transport.

I don't drive so do most of my travelling by bus or bike.

At the moment it's a bit too cold for gizmo to come outside but in a few weeks-months the sun will be shining nice and hot for him and I'd like to take him out places with me.

He's totally chilled out (unless he has to eat his veg lol) and is an adult.

Has/does anyone else take their Beardies on public transport?

Anyone have any advice about taking him out and about either on public transport or in general?

Picklepies

Hatchling Member
Hello,
Before we had a car we would take our Jubsie to the vet using public transport, we'd pack her in her travel case with blankets and heat packs and she'd be okay, we'd also always have a travel snack like Bsfl or mealworms, something she would eat but that can be easily hidden from other public!
I think yours will be fine on the bus so long as it's not a super long journey and you don't call attention to the fact she's there (so drivers etc don't get weird) :) x

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Not a good idea.... you can control the environment in a car, this is not possible in a bus, I think it would stress the heck out of a lizard being on a crowded bus full of noisy unpredictable strange people.

I personally would never expose a pet lizard to so much unnecessary stress. Gizmo is a lizard, and while he may be OK being around you, your family and friends who visit, he will be terrified in such a situation and will not enjoy it at all. He's a lizard and not a dog.

Leave Gizmo at home where he is safe and feels secure.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Personally I'd say it depends on the lizard.

My oldest hates car rides, traveling, etc. I've attempted to take her to Petsmart with me and she's always scramble-y and uneasy, backing into my hoodie to hide.

My youngest is really chill and seems to actually enjoy the car and traveling. I actually took him to Petsmart just yesterday for some emergency crickets and he just sat on my open hand and looked around, not nervous, no stress, and actually was handled (open palm) with no fuss by Petsmart employees with just a few curious tongue taps to their hands.

I've never taken them on public transport, but while it is chilly out (WI weather. we're hitting 50's now) I will have on a coat or hoodie, have them on my upper chest near shoulder, and zipped in. They will usually sleep during the car ride like this and stay plenty warm from my body heat. They are always on the opposite side of the seat belt in case anything were to happen.

If it's not necessary to take them on public transport, I wouldn't, especially if they seem stressed with the travel. Personally, the under hoodie snuggle works well for making them feel safe and secure if I choose to take them with me rather than stuffing them in a box or carrier. They've even come with through drive-thrus in this position and spend the time sleeping. Is there a reason to take them with for that? No. But it's not a stressful experience for them (indicated by the sleeping) and I enjoy having them along.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I wouldn't either, another very real nightmarish possibility is the dragon has to use the restroom and then you + the other passengers are stuck with the horrid smell.

SDragons

Juvie Member
I agree that it would depend on your beardie and how they do around larger groups of people. Our beardie is good with new people, but does get stressed around large groups of new people.

It sounds like public transit may be your only transportation option, If you do take your beardie on the bus make sure they are on a leash and have a blanket to cover then to make them feel safe.

Linus likes going places, he rides on my shoulder during walks around our neighborhood, (with leash on, and wrapped around my wrist to keep him safe). He enjoys the sun on his back and the sights.) In his outdoor enclosure alone its another story, he seems to hate the outdoors then. Spoiled beardie, go fig...

In a car, or other transportation such as a bus, I would never let a reptile loose, its to much of a threat to their safety. If you have to, a carrier with lots of snuggle blankets. Even if the pet is happiest on the shoulder or in a hoodie, I have to ask, what if their was a car wreck? In a carrier you have a chance of your beardie not getting loose, or worse getting hurt. If they are just riding on shoulder or in a snuggie, they become a projectile.

In the car, linus is always in his carrier, belted in to the seatbelt system; it may not be the ideal way from beardie's point of view, but it is the safest.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
... I'm sorry?
I didn't realize I was on trial here for giving details on how I personally choose to travel with my companions on a post asking about traveling.

To each their own, no reason to attack someone.

??

Wasn't trying to attack anyone, just giving my point of view, the same as everyone else here. In my area the traffic is extremely congested, and accidents happen quickly. Therefore, I feel safer with my pets in a carrier.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
And that's perfectly fine, carriers are safe and I'm not arguing that, but you specifically pointed out my response and broke down why it was unsafe ("what about car wrecks? I use a carrier, they can be a projectile") which came off as an attack.

It's insulting to use my response as an "bad example" as though I do not consider the safety of my companions. Like anyone else on the forum, I care deeply about my dragons and would never put their lives in jeopardy. They travel safely with me at all times, carrier or not.

I was simply informing the OP of how I personally SAFELY travel with them. Had I known I'd be under the magnifying glass I would have been a lot more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom