New baby dragon not eating much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardie515

I bought my first dragon 6 days ago. Here is my setup. 

40 gallon with mesh lid, repti carpet, soon to be tile, once my tile setter buddy gets them cut. I have an 18" reptisun 10.0 t8 uvb, and a 75 watt basking bulb. Zoo med remote probe thermometer. 111 degree basking area, and 77 degree cold side. 

The problem is my little baby beardie is not eating much. The first day I got him/her(six days ago), he only ate 2 medium crickets, and one superworm. Since then it will only eat one cricket a day. After the one cricket, he doesn't even notice crickets. They can even walk on him, and nothing. I have tried carrots, strawberries, kale, and he doesn't even notice any of them. Every time he eats anything I cheer, but I am getting worried. Is that because he is stressed from the new environment? 

When I first set everything up, I had both light fixtures on top of the wire mesh lid. Today, I hung both fixtures under the mesh lid, to fine tune the basking temperature, and to get the uvb lower. Right now the uvb is 8" from the beardie, and the fixture does not have a reflector. Should I make a foil reflector? 

Today has been a much better day though. After moving the light fixtures under the mesh cover, he has eaten three crickets, and he actually licked squash baby food, like three times. I'm happy that he even noticed it! 

Now on to water. I have never seen him take a drink. I have seen him walk through the water dish, but it seemed like that was not intentional. It's almost like he can't see. I was worried that he was dehydrated, so I gave him a bath on Tuesday, and dripped water on his mouth, and he drank like three water drops. Oh, and his poops are runny too. Should I give him another bath

What do you think, should I take him to the vet?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Beardie515":11eyt0or said:
I bought my first dragon 6 days ago. Here is my setup. 

40 gallon with mesh lid, repti carpet, soon to be tile, once my tile setter buddy gets them cut. I have an 18" reptisun 10.0 t8 uvb, and a 75 watt basking bulb. Zoo med remote probe thermometer. 111 degree basking area, and 77 degree cold side. 

The problem is my little baby beardie is not eating much. The first day I got him/her(six days ago), he only ate 2 medium crickets, and one superworm. Since then it will only eat one cricket a day. After the one cricket, he doesn't even notice crickets. They can even walk on him, and nothing. I have tried carrots, strawberries, kale, and he doesn't even notice any of them. Every time he eats anything I cheer, but I am getting worried. Is that because he is stressed from the new environment?  <<<< cut the superworms , if he's under 12 months old, he's too young to have superworms in his feeding schedule, suggest you try him on
>>>> phoenix worms
>>>> small (1.5" long) to medium (2" long) silkworms
both these are great staple feeder insects for a young growing beardie.

When I first set everything up, I had both light fixtures on top of the wire mesh lid. Today, I hung both fixtures under the mesh lid, to fine tune the basking temperature, and to get the uvb lower. Right now the uvb is 8" from the beardie, and the fixture does not have a reflector. Should I make a foil reflector?  <<< that would be a very good idea as it'll focus the UVA AND UVB where you need it.

Today has been a much better day though. After moving the light fixtures under the mesh cover, he has eaten three crickets, and he actually licked squash baby food, like three times. I'm happy that he even noticed it! 

Now on to water. I have never seen him take a drink. I have seen him walk through the water dish, but it seemed like that was not intentional. It's almost like he can't see. I was worried that he was dehydrated, so I gave him a bath on Tuesday, and dripped water on his mouth, and he drank like three water drops. Oh, and his poops are runny too. Should I give him another bath <<<< If he's eating the insects he should be getting all the hydration he needs with water dripped on his snout on a regular basis (let him drink the drops as they flow under capillary action to his lips as many drops of water as he needs).

What do you think, should I take him to the vet?

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Make sure you are feeding him bugs that are no bigger than the space between his eyes on the top of his head. He should be fine with water drippings on his snout. A bath won't make him hydrated unless he's drinking from it. They don't recognize standing water. Most of them won't drink from a bowl. Make sure there is no plastic lens in your uvb fixture. I would give him another week to settle in before doing a fecal sample. Are you dusting with calcium and vitamins?

Here's a good list of foods, the ones highlighted in green are good staples.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom