Baby bearded dragon with what seems to be a broken back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woman928

Hi,
We have a female that is 1 yrs old and we just bought a 3-4 month old male and we put them in the same cage. We watched them for a while and the female didn't seem to fine with her new friend but in the morning we found him on his back. We thought he was dead so we turned him over and he ran to the other side of the cage but we noticed he was dragging his back legs and has a hump on his back. This happened about a week ago and there has been no change for good or bad, he still eats and moves around but every so often we find him on his back again as if he fell off the things in the cage. My question is, we he ever recover?

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, if you haven't already done so, SEPARATE THEM. Beardies are naturally solitary creatures, and don't do well together in captivity. Get him to an experienced reptile vet ASAP.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You will need to get him to a vet, as soon as you can to determine what type of injury he has sustained. He is a youngster, so he has a good possibility of recovering, but to what extent I don't know.
I am assuming that he didn't have the hump on his back when you purchased him, correct?
Let us know how he is doing.
Please separate them if you have not already done so. :cry:

Tracie

Woman928

Original Poster
Sorry the pic is upside down. He seems to be doing alot better and moving around the cage alot. He is now climbing on the wood but his hind legs don't seems to be useful. He does eat small dubia roaches, spinach and lettuce. Yes, they are separated! Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

*Woman*

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good to hear he seems to be doing a little better.
Which UVB do you have for him?
I would cut the spinach out for now, as it has too many oxalates in it to bind calcium. Try
mustard or collard greens, or dandelion greens or even arugula is good.
The dubia are very good so he can have as many of those as he wants right now since he is
a growing boy!
How often do you give calcium supplementation?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom