First time owner need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDougy2018

90708-7002881313.jpg
This is Copper, I have had him for about a week now and am kinda curious as to why he won't eat the wax worms or meal worms I feed him. I am hand feeding the worms but if he doesn't eat them then I put them in the food dish along with some food pellets. All I ever see him do is bask. Either on his hammock, or on top of his cave.
I have read stuff online about giving new dragons a few days to settle in. He ate the first night I had him he had about 5 wax worms then I fed him 7 more throughout the next day but hasn't eaten them or anything since.
What can I do?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. He probably still has some relocation stress. Also wax worms and mealworms are not very good. Better off feeding Phoenix worms, silk worms crickets and dubia roaches.

TDougy2018

Original Poster
I was going to grab some crickets but they were closed and I'm not a fan of roaches but if they're good for him I'll have to do it. He has been putting out some good poop though came home and found a good solid one. Which means he is eating something? (Probably some pellets)

TDougy2018

Original Poster
What should I do if copper won't eat food pellets or wax worms or meal worms from my hand while he is also in my hand? I haven't been able to get to a pet store to get crickets yet. Planning to get some tomorrow after work. How many should I let lose in the tank bc I feel like he'd be wanting to hunt them down. Also how many Dubia roaches?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Pellets I'd give to crickets for food. They are not good to feed young dragons. Young ones need live bugs 2x to 3x a day. I had a baby that would eat 200 or more roaches a week. I also have a dubia colony since I have 3 and its cheaper in the long run instead of running to the pet store. Mealworms are hard for them to digest and cause impaction. The wax worms are like candy bars to beardies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TDougy2018":dt6x4rxd said:
90708-7002881313.jpg
This is Copper, I have had him for about a week now and am kinda curious as to why he won't eat the wax worms or meal worms I feed him. I am hand feeding the worms but if he doesn't eat them then I put them in the food dish along with some food pellets. All I ever see him do is bask. Either on his hammock, or on top of his cave. <<< he's diet conscious and into healthy feeder bugs and he's giving you the hint ---> get me some BSF maggots, crickets, roaches, silkworms please.

I have read stuff online about giving new dragons a few days to settle in. He ate the first night I had him he had about 5 wax worms then I fed him 7 more throughout the next day but hasn't eaten them or anything since.
What can I do?
Likely :
relocation stress
and
change of feeder insects (find out what the previous keeper was giving Cooper).

Wax and mealworms are very poor feeder insects to use a staple feeder insects for a bearded dragon.
Best feeders are :
BSF maggots (phoenix worms)
silkworms
Crickets or roaches (better if gut loaded with calcium and vitamin rich greens and foods).

Wax worms, mealworms are suitable for use as treats for adults ONLY , some people add superworms as a staple but IMO these are best only given sparingly as treats as well.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
destiny1998":3j9hdl10 said:
Hi. Pellets I'd give to crickets for food. They are not good to feed young dragons. Young ones need live bugs 2x to 3x a day. I had a baby that would eat 200 or more roaches a week. I also have a dubia colony since I have 3 and its cheaper in the long run instead of running to the pet store. Mealworms are hard for them to digest and cause impaction. The wax worms are like candy bars to beardies.

I agree - pellets make fabulous cricket food, superworms and mealworms like them mixed with the wheat bran too.

If you must give pellets to Cooper , soften then in the same volume of water and mix with grated veg.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TDougy2018":2clufsdt said:
90708-7002881313.jpg
This is Copper, I have had him for about a week now and am kinda curious as to why he won't eat the wax worms or meal worms I feed him. I am hand feeding the worms but if he doesn't eat them then I put them in the food dish along with some food pellets. All I ever see him do is bask. Either on his hammock, or on top of his cave.
What can I do?

You need very high levels of UVA and UVB , and a basking spot temperature of about 40degC.

Might be his setup needs a few tweeks - give us a rundown on his UV , temperature gradient and basking spot temp, types of lights and lighting schedule as well what your bedding is.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TDougy2018":2r6qrlpe said:
I was going to grab some crickets but they were closed and I'm not a fan of roaches but if they're good for him I'll have to do it. He has been putting out some good poop though came home and found a good solid one. Which means he is eating something? (Probably some pellets)

he's likely a sly eater .... some are very shy about eating while being watched.

TDougy2018

Original Poster
I have left freshly cut veggies in his food bowl the past few days and have noticed the veggies (shredded carrot or sugar snap peas, doesn't seem to like the kale leaves) are scattered outside the food bowl when I come home from work and/or classes. Seems to me that alot of it is missing so I guess that's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom