My baby's enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know there are things I need to change in my beardie's tank. I have had my baby for about 4 days now. Right now he/she is in a 20 gallon, I'll be getting a 40 gallon breeder tank in a few weeks just have to pay off a couple bills first. I would say he/she is about 8 inches so I figure a couple more weeks in the 20gallon shouldn't negatively affect him/her.

The lighting is all jacked up, lights came with tank. I have a basking light at one end. It came with a 100watt bulb. I read that could be too hot so when I get paid I'm buying a 50watt or 75watt bulb instead. Right now the only temp readers in the tank are stick on ones on both sides of the tank. I know now that's not a accurate reading. What temp reader would you all recommend I buy? Right now the cool end reads 80 to 85 and the basking end reads 90 to 95 but that's with the stick on ones like I said. Now his uvb light is the reptisun 5.0 compact. Which I know is all wrong. So I just ordered the reptisun 10.0 T5 22inch one. The reason I picked this one instead of the T8 is because I plan on having the light outside of cage on the screen. I read the T8 isn't good for being on the screen. So would it be okay to use the T5 with my 20 gallon or should I just wait and start using it when I get the 40 gallon?

The flooring in the tank is desert looking carpet. Doesn't seem to be a problem with that. There is a rock for him/her to climb on and hide in. Then he/she just has their water and food dish. I keep a very shallow water dish just incase he/she ever feels inclined to drink or bathe in it.

Now my baby is doing really good I think. The first day he/she only ate 9 crickets. I chalked that up to relocation stress. Second day was a little better at 15. Third day was a big jump to 25 and today was 30 crickets. He/she is feed in a separate container two times a day. Then I leave veggies in his/her dish all day and replace it with fresh every morning. He/she will eat a piece of veggie or two if I take it out of the dish and put it in front of his/her feet.

He/she also started shedding today.

Anyway there is my long post. What kind of things would you recommend for the tank? This one and the future 40 gallon.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it sounds like happily you're baby is doing quite well. :) You can use the new t5 bulb as soon as you get it, even on the 20 gal. The 100 watt bulb is fine as long as your house isn't hot which would raise the temps. It's good to upgrade but no need to feel ashamed having a 20 gal., those are fine right up until the dragon is 12-13". For cage decor you can collect driftwood or other nice branches/logs that can fit in your oven. Preheat it to 250 and put the wood in for 60-90 minutes depending on how thick the wood is. You can also get some nice rocks from outside , wash with hot soapy water and rinse well with hot water.

If you prefer store bought, that's fine too. I'd skip hammocks and go with fake rock or driftwood for basking.

Firsttimebeardiemom

Original Poster
AHBD":2heuggii said:
Hi there, it sounds like happily you're baby is doing quite well. :) You can use the new t5 bulb as soon as you get it, even on the 20 gal. The 100 watt bulb is fine as long as your house isn't hot which would raise the temps. It's good to upgrade but no need to feel ashamed having a 20 gal., those are fine right up until the dragon is 12-13". For cage decor you can collect driftwood or other nice branches/logs that can fit in your oven. Preheat it to 250 and put the wood in for 60-90 minutes depending on how thick the wood is. You can also get some nice rocks from outside , wash with hot soapy water and rinse well with hot water.

If you prefer store bought, that's fine too. I'd skip hammocks and go with fake rock or driftwood for basking.

The baby actually gave itself a bath after breakfast this morning it was too cute.

Okay that's great to know. Hopefully the light comes in soon. Well our apartment is kind of warm so maybe a lower watt basking light is still a good idea. That's good to know on the size so he/she can stay in the 20 gallon a little longer. I actually just got a little wood tunnel thing. He/she slept on it last night and spent most of the morning before breakfast basking on it.

Thank you for the advice!

Firsttimebeardiemom

Original Poster
So here is what his/her enclosure looks like after getting his new uvb light. I'll keep it like this until I get a new tank.
ziu1w4.jpg

2dm5r4n.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks good! The T5 should be providing lots of UVB in such a small tank. Optimal output will be at around 10'' or so through a screen so if it's closer than that to the half log basking spot I'd include some more shade areas so he can hide from it if he wants to. Have you picked up a temp gun or digital thermometer? You'll want to ensure the basking area is between about 100-110 with a gradient down to about 75-80 or so on the cool side/in the shade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom