My Beardie's leg looks swollen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH my, so the vet did confirm it was gout? How old is he & what is his weight?
He looks too lightweight for them to perform a blood test, correct?
I would ask him to prescribe allopurinol, because that really needs to be used in combination with black cherry to help inhibit uric acid production.
Try to get 2-4mls of oral fluids into him daily, to help out. Baths would be helpful, too.
What is his diet like & how often do you give calcium to him?

Tracie

Cash

Original Poster
I will call him tomorrow! I did order black cherry powder from bug-de-lite and they sent me bee pollen! I am so worried about Cash!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how it goes when you call the vets.
That was me, the bee pollens got mixed in with my black cherry bottles somehow, so sorry! :oops:
The Black cherry looks too be there on saturday for you though.
Be sure to give an extra bath or two, for hydration also.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

MostBeast

Hello,
I hope I can provide some insight for you. My beardie is going through the exact same thing right now. She's just a little older than yours. It does look like gout, but ultimately only a blood test for uric acid levels can determine that. What you need to do right now:
-Call the vet and demand a prescription for Allopurinol. You'll need to call local pharmacies (compounding pharmacies will be best) once you get the dosage for your beardie to see if they can even fill it. It should be around 20mg/kilo every 24 hours. So for my beardie that translates to .5mL every day. This depends on your dragon's weight.
-Go to every grocery store near you and look for "Dark Cherry Extract". I'm in Texas, so HEB carries it here, I don't know what is available to you. Should be on the juices aisle. Make sure there are no added flavors, preservatives, sugars, etc. Just dark cherry extract. He should get about 5 mL a day of DCE.
-FLUIDS FLUIDS FLUIDS. Find a syringe and administer the DCE and water too if it's not drinking. The liver cannot function properly without fluids.
-Lay off the protein a bit and get as much salad in as possible. Make sure you are feeding your bugs low protein diets as extra protein is converted to uric acid in the bugs. (This is true for dubias, I cannot speak for other bugs.)

If you have any questions, please let me know. But you NEED NEED NEED Allopurinol right now. If you let this go untreated, it can heavily damage their livers to the point that they will need treatment for life. It is possible to get this into remission, but you need to take action. Good luck

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Oh dear, that stinks it is gout. Just wondering, is the vet an exotic vet or a normal vet? It seems odd they didn't prescribe allopurinol or even suggest dark cherry extract (or maybe they did?).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing today?
Were you able to talk to the vet today I hope?
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Cash

Original Poster
Sorry I haven't got back...been working late but I did call vet and he said that because Cash is so small, he didn't think he could stand stress of blood test and without it, he didn't want to prescribe allopurinol just yet. I feel so bad because of his swollen toes and knee. I got black cherry powder but he doesn't like it in his water which I give him every day in his dropper. I live in Tx also and will look in HEB for extract. I give him crickets with calcium & D3 every day...I also have calcium without D3...he has a solar glo in his baskung and a uvb tube across the rest of tank. Can you tell me if I'm giving him too much calcium or should I just be giving him plain calcium? I bought him some Mustard greens but have only given him very little twice since this all started before Valentine's day. I was giving him spinach and I think I may have done this to him. My vet seems to think he'll get better since I stopped but I don't know. He eats well (crickets) only lately till I know for sure what's going on. The guy that owns the reptile shop recommended this vet...should I take him to a different vet?

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
He must be too small then. You could mix the powder with baby food instead. They key is keep him hydrated and flush the kidneys. Don't feed too much protein right now. It will strain the kidneys more. You may want to try another vet and see if they're ok with prescribing allopurinol. He might always have some swelling. You'll have to tell from his behaviour if he's getting better.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Donna,

He doesn't like the powder?
You can try mixing it in with baby food also, or sprinkling it onto his greens if he eats any.
That is true. If he weighs less than 100 grams, it isn't wise to do a blood test on them yet.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
You can also sprinkle alfalfa meal over the greens. It's suppose to help with clearing uric acid...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Donna,

I highly recommend finding another vet, who will consider prescribing allopurinol. If the toes are swelling, then it is not getting better. He is going to need the meds, to get the uric acid levels under control.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Cash

Original Poster
Good news! I called the vet on Wed and he prescribed allypurinol or whatever it's called but it won't be here till Wed. He's eating very good but I know he's got to be in pain. Thank you, Tracie for the cherry powder with baby food suggestion! He loves it with the butternut squash baby food and I alsi got him apple and kale baby food. I haven't been giving him any other type of food other than crickets and the baby food. Cash is my first beardie and he's amazing! I got him in December and I want to keep him around for as long as a beardie can live. I've read so much stuff that it gets confusing. I can't wait to get that medicine in him!
Is it possible for the gout to go away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom