Why is my beardie always standing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessie4698

Hello!

My beardie, Rigby, is always standing up in the corner of his cage. I have attempted to post some pictures so I hope they show up.

90619-257495041.jpg

90619-9121740581.jpg

He always falls asleep like this and he often does it during the day. Before anyone says anything about the thermometer, I am purchasing a temp gun to take accurate temperatures, so just know that I understand how inaccurate those cheap little stick-on ones can be.

His UVB and heat bulb work perfectly fine. He stays warm, but I'm not sure why he does this.

If anyone has any explanations, please reply!

Thanks.

jessie4698

Original Poster
Thanks for the picture help! I can see that they're showing now.

My substrate is reptile carpet for my 40 gallon tank. It's this one exactly https://goo.gl/pOyTBD

On the first day I got him I used the sand that came with the ZooMed kit but then read that sand is not suitable because it can be easily consumed, so I went to the local Petco and purchased the carpet.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Hello. By any chance do you think he's trying to reach the UVB or heat lamp? I don't know where your lights are placed at. What UVB are you using? Does it sit on top of the screen?
I just noticed that thermometer in the picture says 115. Is that where his basking spot is? Are you taking temps with anything else other than the stick on kind?

jessie4698

Original Poster
I don't think he's trying to reach the heat lamp or the UVB. I have both of those lights sitting right on top of his enclosure screen. His basking spot on top of his branch is like 4 inches below the heat lamp. His UVB sits right next to the heat lamp.

I have the Reptisun 10.0 UVB and the 100W Repti Basking Spot Lamp. I used to have a heat rock but heard those can burn babies' bellies, so I returned it and got a ceramic heat emitter made for a 40 gallon tank like I have. When his UVB and heat lamp go off at night, the ceramic heat emitter turns on so his enclosure doesn't get too cold. It has a dimmer on it so that I can control how warm it gets. My house temp stays pretty low, at around 63 degrees, so that's why I have the ceramic heat emitter.

His basking spot is where the thermometer says 115. I don't think it's actually 115, as I heard that those stick-on thermometers can be inaccurate. I need to buy a temp gun or a thermometer with a probe to get more accurate temperatures, but I haven't gotten the time to purchase one.

If the temperature is a part of the problem, I will know once I am able to get more accurate readings, but for now I feel like it is warm enough (especially with the CHE) that he isn't trying to reach the lights. I can't really think of any other reason why he always resorts to that spot to stand (and fall asleep!)

90619-2396177626.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
He thinks he's a person....

seriously, he's just curious and likes the feel or cool glass against his tummy. Enjoy his quirky behavior while he's little and goofy , as they grow out of it .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
jessie4698":a1ls6xg8 said:
I don't think he's trying to reach the heat lamp or the UVB. I have both of those lights sitting right on top of his enclosure screen. His basking spot on top of his branch is like 4 inches below the heat lamp. His UVB sits right next to the heat lamp. <<< be warned , they are great leapers when little , and will try to leap onto the lamps unless there is a wire cage to stop this.

I have the Reptisun 10.0 UVB and the 100W Repti Basking Spot Lamp. I used to have a heat rock but heard those can burn babies' bellies, so I returned it and got a ceramic heat emitter made for a 40 gallon tank like I have. When his UVB and heat lamp go off at night, the ceramic heat emitter turns on so his enclosure doesn't get too cold. It has a dimmer on it so that I can control how warm it gets. My house temp stays pretty low, at around 63 degrees, so that's why I have the ceramic heat emitter.

His basking spot is where the thermometer says 115. I don't think it's actually 115, as I heard that those stick-on thermometers can be inaccurate. I need to buy a temp gun or a thermometer with a probe to get more accurate temperatures, but I haven't gotten the time to purchase one.

If the temperature is a part of the problem, I will know once I am able to get more accurate readings, but for now I feel like it is warm enough (especially with the CHE) that he isn't trying to reach the lights. I can't really think of any other reason why he always resorts to that spot to stand (and fall asleep!)

90619-2396177626.jpg

Birdy

Hatchling Member
hi, i would say he/she may want attention my little girl Liz will scratch against the glass and get my attention and when i open the door she jumps up climbs up my t-**** and snuggles my neck she is such a cutie!!!!!

jessie4698

Original Poster
That's so cute!! He does this and I will hold him and let him chill outside of the cage with me for a little and then put him back and then he goes back to doing this. So I'm not really sure if that's why!!

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Is that the UV in the dome next to the baking light? If so, I am sorry to say you'll need a new one. The coil/compact bulbs don't put out enough UV and can possibly effect the health of their eyes. Go ahead and get a ReptiSun 10.0 t5 tube

Tesseyt

I think it's so cute, my beardie zapper she sleeps against the glass too. Here she is, just had to share it.
92344-3824798004.jpg

jayce82

Juvie Member
yeah you need to get rid of that compact uvb and get a t5 tube style uvb. those coils will cause eye issues besides the other health risks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom