New research on UV lights. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.

According to this http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/An-In-Depth-Look-At-UV-Light-And-Its-Proper-Use-With-Reptiles/ research, strip lights such as the reptisun and arcadia provide more of a shade UVB spectrum, which is not optimal for bearddies. The research concludes that a MVB would be the best for bearded dragons to bask under.

Also, this research which states that Reptisun 10.0 t8 bulbs don't give bearded dragons the proper zone 3 UVB rays that they need when basking. https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

What are your thoughts, since this goes against almost every recommendation on this website? :blob8:

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The recommendations on this site and many others is both outdated and the "lowest cost option" T5 fixtures cost 2-3x as much as T8 ones and are not as readily available.

I'll have to reread the article but current recommendations are T5 lighting (which can reach ferguson zone 3-4 levels easily) is ideal as it's much more possible to provide a large basking zone for large lizards like dragons, as well as a more effective gradient. Overall enclosure design and size is super important - the "shade method" is easier to accomplish is the undersized habitats commonly used.

MVB have a poor visible spectrum compared to tubes and halogen or metal halide lights are better for providing basking light/heat.

As a note : The first page is written by Fran Baines, widely considered the expert in reptile lighting, the second was written by myself from my correspondence with her and using her data for the charts. This website has a recently publication my Dr. Baines that goes into much more detail. http://www.jzar.org/jzar/article/view/150

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
From the reptile magazine article

High-output T5 (T5-HO) tubes are unsurpassed in their ability to create extremely large, strong UVB zones, especially when used in reflector fixtures. They also produce fairly bright visible light, but little heat, so must be combined with non-UVB-emitting incandescent lamps to create a large basking zone.

newbeardie11

Original Poster
Okay thats great.

Thanks for clearing that up, its great to hear from the creator of some of the work. I ended up purchasing these two items:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00J3TR60Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00AQU8HAO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best I could do in Canada.

Im glad I checked this website though, because I had been using a T8 reptisun 10.0 for the longest time. The stickies should definitely be updated.. :?

Evan

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Wait, so t8s are bad?! That is what I have (didn't realize there was a huge difference when I got it, now know). I though the t5 was 'better', but thought the t8 was at least sufficient.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A T8 isn't bad necessarily. It's just lower output. It is appropriate in smaller enclosures (20g for example) because it reaches the low end of the appropriate basking range at about 6''. The T5 is much higher output and can reach the high end of the appropriate basking range at around 12'' or so. Their range and durability make them a good investment for a larger enclosure.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
CooperDragon":3k7bt615 said:
A T8 isn't bad necessarily. It's just lower output. It is appropriate in smaller enclosures (20g for example) because it reaches the low end of the appropriate basking range at about 6''. The T5 is much higher output and can reach the high end of the appropriate basking range at around 12'' or so. Their range and durability make them a good investment for a larger enclosure.

So at about 6" I'm good?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
A T8 in an under cabinet fixture is "adequate". At 6" away it's still like being out on a overcast day and enough to keep dragons objectively healthy. Not bad, but not ideal and far from the best you can offer in this day and age. It is however, the cheapest.....

It's worth considering that bare minimum standards are what's needed to keep animals alive - it's not the same as an enriching habitat designed around the animals natura history and welfare.

I don't suggest T8 any more for a few reasons...6" is pretty close to any sort of lamp (glare, noise, proximity comfort). Dragons are sun worshipers - T8 lamps just aren't very bright. Even 40g enclosures are small for this size of lizard, I don't recommend them either. You aren't going to get the sort of exposure and coverage or gradient with a weaker source like a T8 in a larger enclosure.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Taterbug":3eei3cyb said:
A T8 in an under cabinet fixture is "adequate". At 6" away it's still like being out on a overcast day and enough to keep dragons objectively healthy. Not bad, but not ideal and far from the best you can offer in this day and age. It is however, the cheapest.....

It's worth considering that bare minimum standards are what's needed to keep animals alive - it's not the same as an enriching habitat designed around the animals natura history and welfare.

I don't suggest T8 any more for a few reasons...6" is pretty close to any sort of lamp (glare, noise, proximity comfort). Dragons are sun worshipers - T8 lamps just aren't very bright. Even 40g enclosures are small for this size of lizard, I don't recommend them either. You aren't going to get the sort of exposure and coverage or gradient with a weaker source like a T8 in a larger enclosure.

Hopefully (when I get some more money in :roll: ) I will eventually get a t5. Thanks for all your help guys

newbeardie11

Original Poster
Update!

I switched to a T5 strip light, around 20 Cm from my dragon.

His behaviour has changed tenfold. He eats his greens, is super active and has all of his good colours showing.

Thanks everyone.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
I have a 2ft ReptiSun 10.0 T8 right now, but if T5 is what's reccommended, I would like to do that when I upgrade her tank. She's still a juvenille, so I have some time. I was looking at Pet Mountain, and they seem to have decent prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom