Skipper's Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I've just looked back on some baby pictures and realized how much skipper has changed throughout her life!! I don't have any weight or length records from when she was little :cry:

89112-340212305.jpg
She was quite a cute little critter!

89112-8265205300.jpg
She started to change her patterns, and got orange on her head.

89112-6686735377.jpg
For a while she had VERY bright undertones of orange. Her eyes were even orange!

89112-8813607529.jpg
Today her overall color has mellowed out, but her head still has some bright orange. Her beard is more colorful than ever!

Skipper7":2a9hl7i6 said:
I've just switched Skipper over to a warmer bulb for the winter, and I am having issues keeping he humidity up. With a water bowl, my gauge is only at 10% humidity. Any ideas on how to get it higher?
If your still having problems I put a waterfall in my cage and Saphira loves it. Not to mention my humidity is always between 40 and 50. I've read they don't like still water and the waterfall seemed like the perfect solution.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Just used an old shoe box, Skipper's Ubby, and a towel to make Skipper a luxury "bed." I'd say my studying for finals is pretty productive...

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Skipper's toe "wound" has been healing nicely. Scabbing/scales fell off today when her foot finished shedding and I was surprised to see that the nail is growing back! I wasn't expecting it to!

89112-2534131026.jpg

Other than that Skipper is still in her semi-brumation-being-lazy stage but seems to be healthy. I recently learned that she LOVES dubia! I also put in a t5 UVB tube a few weeks ago. I can't say I've noticed a huge difference in her behavior, but I do like knowing that I'm giving her everything she needs.

Skip's cage is lacking in terms of places to climb. Should I switch to a weaker basking bulb and make her some sort of platform to use? I don't mind buying new bulbs because I just screwed in the last of my stash.
Also, if I'm going to ditch "reptile" brand heat bulbs, what else is reccomended? I've seen par38 lights mentioned, but I would like someone to tell me specifically what they use.
EDIT:
Would this bulb work? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-...White-PAR38-Halogen-Flood-Light-Bulb/50107652

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Original Poster
What size tank do you have cooper? And how high is your bulb mounted?

I'm planning on buying an assortment and returning whatever doesn't work.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's an Exo Terra 36x18x18'' and the light sits on an adjustable stand over the top of the tank. It's about 25'' from the floor of the tank and about 18'' above the main basking spot.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks again cooper. My silly human still has a mesh top on my cage... I'll try to get him to purchase stands soon. Maybe a few big poops will do the trick :mrgreen:

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Just tried 60w Halogen at same distance as zoomed 100w. Much hotter! I'll have to look for a 40w.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Geez that's surprising. Give it some time to "burn in", maybe on another socket. They tend to come down a bit in output after a few days of running.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the tip! I'll try that.

I can't find a 40w halogen that's bright enough. I'm thinking I'll stick with this (pic) at 50 or 75w.
The halogens seem to get more expensive as the wattage decreases. The zoomed bulbs are 2 for $10.
89112-6637792345.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom