Broken back with fused vertebrae and nerve damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That sounds hopeful ! I think that there is a certain amount pf pain/discomfort, but I do believe that if it was severe he would have a black beard most of the time and would not be digging or attempting to move. I think it's reasonable to just take it day by day. If it at any point looks like he's in severe pain continously then the choice would be apparent. But this does seem like a small turn for the better. :)

Skipper7

Juvie Member
You've been with him since he is little. You're the only one here who truly knows how he feels. Do what you think is best for the two of you.

Wanting to be out and moving around are good signs!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, well you know Sasha better than we do.
I agree, I wondered also if a blood test would be too stressful since they have to take it from the caudal vein but it can be taken from an abdominal vein, carefully.
He just may not be ready to give up. He honestly doesn't appear to be in pain. Maybe he was depressed/bored from not being able to do much.
The metacam should help. Longterm, he can't stay on it without taking breaks from it. You could consider serrapeptase for him, which is silkworm enzyme. It helps manage pain, swelling & inflammation.
I'm happy to hear he was alert & wanting out for attention.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Picklepies

Hatchling Member
Heya, hows Sasha doing today? You said he could move his front legs, would some sort of wheeled device for to sit in possibly help with his movements, he wouldn't be able to climb etc, but it might mean he could move easier? Quality of life is probably a call into you can make unfortunately, I hope you're okay, it seems like an increadably emotionally taxing choice xx

AmberC123

Original Poster
Well. Today I took Sasha to the vet to put him to sleep, some weird part of me was still super in denial. He pooped this morning and I kept and brought it just in case.

All good things though, the vet isn't ready to give up! Because Sasha is super weak and he tremors the vet wants to try treating for MBD.

Even though Sasha has been getting his calcium and has a uvb bulb changed every 6 months, there is still a chance it could be MBD. I asked about that, because I've always been cautious about it, but the vet said poor husbandry isnt always the reason this develops.

Even force feeding him it's hard to get enough calcium in him (he actually has refused to eat for the past 4 days, even with trying to hand/force feed) , it's possible it isn't mbd and he will still need to be put to sleep because this could all still be related to that spinal injury, but I'm happy not to give up!

I will say, I could NOT stay in the room when the vet gave the calcium and vitamin D into the abdomen, definitely too much for me to handle seeing! He will be getting some liquid calcium daily for the next 3 weeks and then going back for a check up. I REALLY hope this is what's wrong, and while the vet doesn't think he'll ever walk 100% normal (he never really has, those back legs are just weak) he should be able to function just fine.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless Sasha, it is amazing the spirit they have.
It is highly possible that it is metabolic bone disease. Some have better genetics than others. That is absolutely amazing your vet wasn't ready to give up yet! That is unbelievable.
Metabolic bone disease can contribute to spinal cord injuries & or back injuries just because it all becomes so weak in the column there.
It isn't easy watching them receive an injection, or especially to have them draw blood! That couldn't have felt very good for him to have gotten an injection in the abdomen. It is a common site though, the coelomic cavity.
I hope he is able to improve over the next few months.

Tracie

AmberC123

Original Poster
So, treatment isn't going very well. On Friday his whole body started to do massive twitching/spasming(?) I've been treating him for mbd for 8 days and 5 days after I started the horrible spasms started, his beard has also been black since that day.

If it's mbd shouldn't his symptoms just stay the same? He's completely refusing to eat now, he'll spit food out if I shove it in his mouth, his beard is permanently black and his whole body spasms, before when he moved he was really shaky, like he was weak but now with the spasming I just don't know what to do. If I even very lightly touch him it causes massive spasms throughout his entire body. He does it without being touching or moving too

Does that mean it's most likely NOT mbd? I know he won't get better right away, but why is he getting worse?

We're going back to the vet tomorrow afternoon, i just seriously can't wait that much longer for someone to give me some kind of idea of what's going on

AmberC123

Original Poster
Also, i was mind of wondering if all this is because he was on metacam. 25 for over a month, I can't help but think the metacam caused him to get sick like this because before I started giving it he was barely wobbly and since I've given it he's gotten full body tremors that are now full body spasms.

He's had a dose of metacam on Saturday (I was hoping it would help with the black beard) and before that a dose on Monday, but he was getting it everyday before then.

If it is the metacam have I killed his kidneys or liver? Can he bounce back from this or is keeping him alive as he is just cruel?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry he is having so much trouble!
So he has gotten worse after you started giving him the Metacam?
Is his beard black every day now or just ever so often?
The Metacam is not designed for long term use. You can consider using a natural supplement for him instead which would be so much easier on his kidneys. Serrapeptase is very good for helping with inflammation & pain management. Have you been keeping him hydrated daily?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

AmberC123

Original Poster
He isn't drinking water at all, it's a challenge getting his. 5 of calcium in him every day, his beard has been black since Friday. It fades to lighter black sometimes but it doesn't go away and he never black beards normally. He didn't even get a black beard when they gave him the calcium injection.

Considering he hasn't been eating or drinking, his bowel movements have been more regular then he ever had before (pooping was always a big deal before, he would only go every few weeks usually), anyways, the reason I mention it is while it's very tiny amounts there is liquid and it's all soft

AmberC123

Original Poster
And sorry yes, his major decline in health started after only about 2 and a half weeks on metacam, that's why I didn't necessarily realize that could be it. It seems to close together for it to have done enough damage that symptoms would start that soon isn't it?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is interesting. Maybe he has had some type of reaction to it perhaps, I am not sure. Some do better on it than others.
Is he maintaining his weight thus far or has he lost weight now?
I would back down on it & try to get him off of it to see if that makes any difference for him. It might be affecting his appetite, too.
Keep trying to get foods & fluids into him, as much as he will tolerate at this point.
Let us know how he does with going off of the Metacam.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom